We, party of 6, 3 cabins, booked the weekend cruise to Guernsey to celebrate a birthday. What should have been a relaxing weekend got off to an absolutely horrendous start! Prior to travelling when we were given our cabin allocations (2 close together and 1 further down the corridor) we asked if we could swop the allocations for 2 of the cabins. P & O said this wasn't a problem and new paperwork arrived with the names changed for the 2 cabins. I then spent 4 weeks attempting to get onto the cruise personaliser to be able to print off documents. My travel agent (Thomson) were brilliant in contacting P & O for me. Each time P & O reported they had changed the details, wait 24 hours, then I would be able to log on to cruise personaliser. This went on until 4 days before we travelled - even then I realised P & O had not changed all the details correctly, however I was finally able to print the E tickets etc. P & O clearly have a problem with their administrative services. Embarkation - after a long drive we arrived at Southampton before our allocated arrival time only to find the terminal full to capacity! We finally got to the check in desk after waiting nearly 2 hours. The two partys that had swopped cabins were then unable to check in as P & O had issued 2 cruise cards with the same name and one person didn't have any card issued with their name on it! The check in staff were rude and unhelpful and actually said 'your name is not on my system so I can't help'. I then had to show all my paperwork, with the correct details on, that P & O had issued, to show who should be in each cabin. Senior staff from the ship did finally sort everything out (assuring us the ship wouldn't leave without us) but we were the last people to get on the ship and they were closing up behind us and scowling as we were holding everything up. Due to all P & O's administrative errors we had a horrible, stressful start to our weekend. It didn't help that as soon as we found our cabins we were ushered straight out to go to muster all without being able to sit down for 5 minutes! Cabin - this was lovely with plenty of space, comfy bed and good shower. The cabin steward was a bit hit and miss with emptying the bins and didn't change our towels. On the Sunday he removed all our items off the bathroom shelves so he could presumably get a head start on cleaning before disembarkation! Dining - food was lovely but in the Penninsular but there was a long wait to get a table and the service was a bit slow. At breakfast it was hard to find a table as it was really busy and staff just seemed really fed up. At times it felt like the staff were unable to cope with the number of passengers on board. We watched one show which was enjoyable. We did not take any ship tours and did our own thing in Guernsey. We were a bit disappointed that only a few shops were open (as most closed on a Sunday) and wondered why the ship goes to Guernsey on a Sunday when lots of things are shut. Disembarkation - this was relatively easy, just shuffling along in a line to get off the ship. Time was spent waiting to get in a lift that wasn't full! After a rough start the rest of the weekend was generally fine. It has put us off going for a weekend cruise again and certainly from leaving from Southampton! If this had been our first ever cruise experience we would never, ever cruise again but having been on a perfect cruise on Oceana we know it can be good.

Complete lack of decent adminstration, ability to put right and rude staff

Azura Cruise Review by sonrisa@C4