3. Amsterdam
Heard many people comment on Holland America not being a "party boat" cruise, mostly formmore elderly people. Also, very clean, and friendly wait staff. All this was true, however I was dissappointed in the tough steaks. I had a New Hork Strip in the main Dining Room. The first couple bites were tender and then it was nothing but pure gristle. I told our waiter and he called the assistant Diner Room manager and they apologized and offered to bring another, but I refused since we had already finished our meal. I was told to order it again another night and it would be tender. A couple,days later I ordered it again, and I had to spit out in my napkin several bites that I just couldn't chew, and I have all my natural teeth. I didn't complain. Also, the assistant Dining Room manager tried to rush us to eat. We had a friend with is who had to eat slower because a side effect from cancer prevented her from eating fast. The Assistand Dining Room manager was not nice at all. The ship very clean, the Lido Food was very good except for the beef roast. It was tough. Apparently whoever they get their beef from is supplying low quality meat. The staff needs to try it themselves without warning, and see for themselves. Other than that Oscar, the manager of the breakfast buffet on in the Lido Deck was the friendliest of all the staff, all the other staff was good and friendly, but Oscar went above and beyond to give superior service,and knew us by our first named after the first time we introduced ourselves. The cleaning staff were always busy especially after late hours polishing and cleaning onboard public Areas. I saw a child get sick near a sitting area, and immediately they had a team with mask and gloves cleaning it up with vacuums, and disinfectants. And rerouting foot traffic until it was thoroughly cleaned up. The Grill beside the pool had the best Taco Bar I have ever eaten at. Their burgers were very high quality, and I could have survived eating there, every meal, but did not want a burger for breakfast or dinner. The only other complaint was the following. My wife has to use a C-pap machine to sleep, and requires Distilled Water to operate. She had the opportunity to order the Distilled Water a few weeks before we sailed, and did so, and it was supposed to be in our cabin on arrival. It wasn't there when we arrived, we called about it that evening and were promised it would be there before bedtime. It never arrived. The next day we complained and were promised it would be delivered. A 7:00 pm it had never arrived. We went to front desk and complained, and one of the front desk people promised they would deliver or personally, which they did. The entertainment was not very entertaining especially the music for the age groups onboard. I think since many of the people grew up in the 1950's, music from that era would go over very good..

Tough Steaks

Buford1949’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Amsterdam price drops

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin EE 3320
Cabin was plenty large enough for a couple. Had a very convertible King size bed. Had sufficient closet space to store luggage, nice bathroom, sufficient drawers for clothing storage, and hanging closet for other clothes. We always had fresh ice any we left the cabin and came back, and trash was always emptied. And things straightened up. I think the young lady in charge of our Cabin was Christina, and she was very good at her job, and very friendly.
Lower Promenade Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins