3. Carnival Liberty
I went on this cruise because one of my cousin's daughters was getting married. We had about 15 in our group, and it was, overall a fun first cruise for me. The ship was large enough to "avoid" (I hate to use that word) family and have time to myself, or just hang out with "select" family, or meet new people. Drink: I bought the Cheers! package, and I'm sure I came out ahead, money-wise. I "graduated" one day, by finishing all 15 beverages. As I say, you can't drink all day if you don't start early! A couple of complaints I had about it, though, are because of TABC rules leaving Galveston, it is not effective on day 1, thereby reducing its benefit to 4 of the 5 days. Also, it wasn't immediately clear--if you don't read the fine print--that there's an additional 15% added to the original price of each drink. Not horrible, but it's good to know. And remember that line in the fine print where they say "good for drink up to $50"? There was a pitcher of margaritas for $40, and the menu said, "enjoy with friends, or keep it all for yourself. We won't judge." You guessed it--it was a "special" and couldn't be bought with the Cheers' package. Enough complaints! If you enjoy a craft cocktail, you must try the Alchemy Bar on deck 5. Yuliya is one of the bartenders, and she pours an amazing drink. Talk to her, tell her what you like and don't like (I like fruit, but not to sweet, for example), and she will pour you something to delight your tastebuds! One person can make a difference, and she made a big difference for me. A real delight! Food: I took them up on the offer of the Steakhouse on the first night of the cruise, where you get a free bottle of wine. The steak--I had filet mignon--was amazing, and as good as I've had at any high level steakhouse on shore (think Ruth's Chris, Flemings, or Sullivan's). The service was excellent. I commented how good the bleu cheese dressing was. The next day, I went to chef's demonstration, and was pleased that he showed us how to make the dressing! Tip: at the chef's demonstration, you get samples of the foods available in the Steakhouse. Make your reservations early! The main dining room had good food, but far from great. Think "Chili's" or "Red Lobster". However, the service was outstanding! I'm still a little freaked out that our waitstaff remembered our names night after night. I'm sure it was written down somewhere, but still--wow. No doubt about it, these folks work hard! Fun: It's as fun as you want it to be. My cousin Kyle won the hairy chest contest, and we were all laughing so hard at that! And I went down to the "adult" pool (don't think it's a bunch of senior citizens--most are in their 20's and 30's, and act accordingly), and I was having a great time reading a book. I enjoyed the trivia contests, especially the 80s Music Trivia. The family (many of whom were into their 60s) shut down the disco one night--I got a text at 2:45 AM from my 64 year old female cousin saying what a great time they were having. I was in my stateroom, sound asleep. Stateroom: Liberty 7447. Aft balcony. Shared with a cousin. Plenty of room for 2 adult men. There was a small child in the next cabin, however, and if we didn't hear him every time he cried, we heard him enough. Excursions: I'm not the best to ask about this, and here's why: Cozumel was the family wedding, so a good portion of my morning was there. Shopping was good, although that's not my thing, and walking around was safe. Progreso: I had booked an excursion through CostcoTravel to Chichen Itza several months before departure. I've always had good luck with everything I've done with Costco. There were some changes in the ship's itinerary between the time I booked the excursion and the time we departed, however. We arrived at Progreso later than originally planned (2 hours later), and by the time I got to the excursion spot, they said they couldn't guarantee getting me to Chichen Itza and back in time for the departure. I understood, of course, and they did offer other excursions. But I had my heart set on that. I'll book all excursions through the cruise line from now on. I walked around the little town of Progreso, and I do have some concerns. It is a very poor town, and at the drop off point for tourists, the locals can be very pushy. I had lots of offers for massages, hats, fans, and introductions to several of the locals' "seesters" (sisters). At that point, I was on my own (I mean, no cousins or other family) and walked around the main street a bit. I'm a larger redheaded man, and was obviously dressed like a tourist. I can't help but think about how I would have felt as a smaller, single woman: I would be concerned for my safety. The ship is always, at a minimum, about 5 miles away, because of the "world's longest pier." I'm sure the tourist dollar will help out this small, poor town in the future, and that's a great thing. But I do have concerns about the present safety. Faster to the Fun: I had it, and it was great for embarking. I loved how fast I was able to walk past everyone else waiting in line in Galveston. However, it was confusing during debarkation. I chose to have my luggage taken down the night before. The luggage tag was numbered "2". I waited around for everyone who was carrying their own luggage, and then they announced number "5". This was my first cruise, and "live and learn". But I wish they had announced the "Faster to the Fun" folks overhead. For that reason, I have to rate "Embarkation" lower than I would have otherwise.

Liberty, and CostcoTravel Excursion

Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by hennpaul

• Sail Date: August 2016
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Aft-View Extended Balcony

Excursions: I'm not the best to ask about this, and here's why:

hennpaul’s Full Rating Summary