Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review
2,389 Reviews

It was just bad. Do anything but.

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by explore725

• Sail Date: Aug 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window

I have been on 9 cruises. 2 Royal Carribean, 1 Regent, 2 Holland America, 2 Carnival, and 2 Norwegian. We had a terrible time 2 years ago on the Norwegian Epic. But we wrote and shared our concerns and they gave us some credit (not much) to come back. We had an opportunity to go with Norwegian again with a group. I have to say, group or no group, I will not be taking Norwegian again. Maybe I am fortunate enough to have cruised before things started getting so big, busy, and casual, but they Norwegian has taken what is special about cruising and turned it into obvious shortcutting and maximizing their profits not our experiences.

The bathrooms were nice. A very roomy shower. The cirque show was excellent- that is if you aren't sick of Cirque shows by now. Using the NCL shuttle was super easy both directions. The French Restaurant (Le Bistro) and Steakhouse (Cagney's) were excellent. Unfortunately that is all of the nice things I have to say.

So many times, that I lost track, I would ask a staff member a question and they would leave to go get the answer and NEVER come back. The food was so bland and downright gross. One night we ordered chicken cordon blue in the main restaurant. I kid you not, it looked like a frozen breaded chicken patty with some kind of gross cheap cheese sauce poured over it. The food was bland, low quality and at times downright inedible. The "trough" as we liked to call the buffet, had the same things day after day and passengers in line in front of me discovered mold on the cheese. Food was awful! Service was awful! We forgot and had our do not disturb sign on and when we came back we realized our mistake. We left again a few minutes after returning and realizing our mistake. We changed the sign to "Make up cabin" only to return several hours later with our sign turned back to Do not disturb with a note that said they had tried to clean cabin but could not due to DND. BUNK! Our cabin steward did nothing special. In fact when we prepared to leave we found an entire bag of trash tucked away under our bed.

The one show was pretty good. The rest were awful. The comic guy was awful. The "So you think you can dance" contest had some hot shot young man (staff) dancing with a 65+ year old woman. He danced her so hard we were sure she would be broken the next day. It was disturbing to watch.

In a nutshell- this was a huge disappointment. And if you like anything at all about traditional cruising, don't take anything Norwegian. I have reconfirmed this to be the case.

Gluten free was doable though tough. Never did get disembarking instructions.

Ship dated. Food was terrible. Entertainment was just so-so. Service was terrible. It was just bad.

explore725's Full Rating Summary

Mid-Ship Oceanview Picture Window
Cabin OB 5030

Cabin was adequate. Bathroom shower was great.

Whale Watching

Wish there had been more time. Fog would have lifted.

View All 906 Whale Watching Reviews
Skagway

Great crab at little restaurant next to ships.

explore725