3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Westbound crossing in 2014 was great and we wanted to experience the remastering and a Princess Grill Suite this year, 2016, round-trip for 16 days. We flew into LGA the night before our voyage, stayed at a hotel, and took an Uber from LGA to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in RedHook. Embarkation was quick, didn't take more than 10 minutes. Once onboard we found our suite. Oh, my! It was not as big as a suite on HAL but champagne and chocolates on the coffee table win me over every time. The suite had everything we needed. The walkin closet immediately became mine. Hubby got to use the 4 closets lined up against the entry wall. The glassed-in cabinets above the mini bar had all sizes of Waterford Crystal. There was a Keurig type coffee pot, as well as, a pot to heat water for tea and Waterford China in the cabinet next to the frig. Bottled water in the suite was free. There is a charge for the frig supplies. There were no Coke products the upon embarkation, only Pepsi. "Pepsi, no Coke." The shipped boarded Coke in Halifax but it did not taste like USA Coke products. Soda package is Pepsi products only out of the tap. Since I am a Coke person, I drank water, beer, or rum and Diet Pepsi, not to say my wine and after dinner drinks. The bed was comfortable, pillows fluffy, and the balcony ran the width of the suite. We sat outside drinking our champagne before going to lunch. In the Pincess Grill Restaurant We had table one. Wow, we thought we were special. Think the reverse. It was the first table upon entering. We were moved that evening to a table-for-two, close enough to talk to the other passengers on either side but still private. On our return voyage we sat closer to a bank of aft windows. I am still talking about the food in the Princess Grill restaurant. From appetizers, soup, salad, entrees, and dessert you can not go wrong. We bought the wine package and saved a few, as I said, a few, dollars. If you don't like what is on the menu you can ask for something else. There is the daily menu, an a la carte menu (served every night), and a specialty menu. Besides the chateaubriand on the specialty menu we also ordered rack of lamb since it wasn't on the menu our second week. Just remember to order from the specialty menu at lunch or the night before. We did this but the waiter got us confused with the table next to us. They asked for lamb one night. Since they did not pre-order it they got our order. They were at dinner and left before we got there. We had lamb the next night. The Princess Grill door is open for dinner 6pm until 9pm but we did notice some people arrived after 9. Even if you get there late you are not rushed. We made it to breakfast once.....it was excellent. The fish and chips in the pub is the best I have eaten on ships. There is quite a bit of fish vs breading. The fries were quite good too. We only got to lounge in the sun outside on deck 11 aft on 3 days. The lounges are reserved for grill suites. Since this was a North Atlantic crossing and we had voyaged before we were used to cloudy, foggy weather. The return crossing's weather was a bit rough. One night there were 100 knot wind gusts which caused the ship to lean port causing glasses and anything not stored away to fall onto the floor. My clothes even fell from the shoves in the closet. Fortunately, my wine glass was empty when it fell! I had finished it before sleeping. It took a while for the ship to even out but no worry. The QM II is an ocean going vessel built to cross the North Atlantic and handle rough seas. At noon the next day the pumps were still going. I didn't need a scope patch this trip, either. We took advantage of the free laundromat. Soap is supplied but not softener or dryer sheets. We also had some clothes laundered, pressed, and dry cleaned. This was a vacation and the cost wasn't exorbitant. Shows were good but Herbie Hancock was even better. One morning there was a Q and A with Mr. Hancock. We are not into Magic Shows but the casino beckoned to us every evening. We played the slots, we won, we lost, and aren't going to the poor house. Wish we had magic there. We took the City of Winchester tour while in Southampton. We were delayed 2 hours because there was a shift in the gangway due to a current change or so we were told. We waited with some of the debarking passengers who still had to leave the ship and catch flights home. It was a cloudy, rainy day, this is Blighty! The countryside by coach was very pretty. The cathedral is under refurbishment with scaffolding all over inside and out. We still got to see the history for which Winchester Cathedral is noted. The number of memorials to the deceased military is amazing. It is a great city to wander and tour on your own. We saw Arthur's Round Table and some very old historical places. We had umbrellas with us which helped. Lunch was in an authentic pub (not included in the tour). I had largest burger I have ever eaten. Hubby had the fish and chips. We even found Boots which is a drug store similar to Walgreens. Our return trip from Winchester by coach was delayed. One passenger decided not to show up or she decided to take return transport on her own. We waited an hour for the tour guide to call the tour desk as to how long he should wait. Noel was our fabulous room steward. He reminded us to keep the do-not-disturb sign on the door when we were there. We were able to sleep-in mornings without being disturbed. The Princess Grill Maitre D, Stanley, always greeted us by name and checked at our table daily and nightly. Lowkesh, and Bon, were our table stewards the first 8 days. Our wish was their command. Vernon was our Head Waiter. Suni, Mark, and Rim Arc were our Table Stewards the second week. By the return trip we knew the Grill routine and enjoyed the best service and cuisine asked for. Beverage Server was great, made sure we finished a bottle of wine every night, asked if we wanted liqueurs, or anything else. He was right on top of things. On the last afternoon I got a haircut and style in the salon on Deck 8. Ships always have the greatest Hair Stylists. Now it was time for debarkation, short, simple, and easy. You must get a porter for your bags. We tipped ours a $20 and were outside in no time. He brought us to the cab line but we found it is a much shorter wait if you call an Uber so he stayed with us and moved our bags back across the street to get an Uber. The wait was 5 minutes. Uber took us to Hertz, 3 miles away.......so much traffic on a Tuesday morning at 10, it took 20 minutes. We were sorry to leave the ship but were reminded of it for a couple of days as we swayed back and forth on land. Hints: If you are going to use Cunard Coach transportation upon debarkation, book it prior to the cruise. It is cheaper. Take a night light, the staterooms are dark. Take a raincoat/umbrella, it rains at sea and in the UK.

Remember You Are Voyaging, Not Cruising.

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Cleverly