We have just returned from a week on board P & O Oceana (Venice to Genoa) and here’s what we as a family think. Firstly let me say this is not our 1st cruise we have been cruising since the mid 90’s. After booking Oceana I like many others decided to look at cruise critic and I was shocked by some of the negative reviews and wondered what I had let myself and my family in for. Well the first thing I will say is we had a wonderful week and I need not have been worried about the reviews I had read. From our flight from Newcastle on Titan Airways to the speedy and competent check in and embarkation procedure at Venice we have no complaints, everything ran very smoothly. Our cabin..........we were on deck 9 in cabin 620 and it was 1 of the largest 3birth cabins we have had the pleasure to stay in. It was spotlessly clean and kept that way by our cabin steward Angelo. Yes the shower was in need of a little repair here and there but this in no way impacted on our holiday. The tea and coffee making facilities are a welcome extra and are filled twice daily. Food on board was of a good standard, we ate in the Atrium restaurant every night on 2nd sitting (8.30) and there was always something we all fancied on the menu and never anything we didn’t eat because we didn’t like it. During the day we tended to eat from the Grill and have some salad from the Plaza which can get rather busy at times but that’s to be expected with so many people in a small confined space. Afternoon tea in the restaurant was lovely. Drinks were mostly at a good price not much different to what we pay at home to be honest. We got the Soda package for our son who is 13 and thought it to be a tad expensive to be fare at £35.00 as it’s only for 20 drinks and it’s only applicable to Pepsi, diet Pepsi and lemonade. We have had much better value packages with different cruise companies with a much better unlimited drinks selection. Sun bed’s .............mm well if you were lucky enough to find a sun bed on sea days ...keeping it was a bit trickier. If you leave your sun bed for anymore than 15 minutes the sun bed police come and put a note on it informing you that should you not return within the next 15 minutes they will remove your belongings and allocate you sun bed to someone else. I totally understand this and have no problem with the process except P & O have a rule that any child under 16 in the pool MUST be supervised at all times, My son is 13 and a good strong swimmer but either myself or my husband had to be at the pool with him doing our supervision thus at least 2 sun beds left un attended meaning a note on the beds. So meaning the other parent couldn't go for a drink or relax in 1 of the Jacuzzi they had to keep an eye on the sun beds. At around 8am on sea days all the beds were gone, I saw several people eating their breakfast while sat on their sun bed Trips we thought were overpriced. Especially as our son is now classed as an adult so we have to pay full fare for him. For example a trip into Rome by train from the ship is priced at £44 each. We managed to do the same journey for €15 each that’s a big difference. Also the ship did a transfer into Corfu town from the Cruise terminal it was £4 per adult and £2 per child this was only 1 way and not return to go less than a mile. Entertainment was quite good and worth watching, we had a comedian and a magician the week we were on together with the ships own entertainment crew who were of a good standard. All the staff on board were friendly and helpful considering the long hours they work they were always on hand with a smile and ready to help. Each and every ship we have ever been on have been doing some sort of maintenance at one time or another, the Oceana is no exception this did not impact on our holiday. When you consider these ships are in service 24/7 365 days a year they have to do the maintenance at some stage. I found P & O have a lot of double standards and different rules for children. For trips they are classed as an adult at 13, for the pool area they are a child until 16, for on board gratuities they pay full adult price from 12?????? Something has to be done here P & O 1 age please would make life so much easier. All in all we had a very enjoyable time with just a few silly niggles mainly down to the age thing with our son. Would I recommend Oceana to my friends??? Yes without a doubt, would we board her again yes.

Absolutely Fine