3. Viking Sea
I chose this cruise for the itinerary first and the ship and cruise line second. This was my 11th cruise. What made it stand out was the friendliest, happiest, most accommodating staff of all my cruises. They often offered more than what you asked for. Contrary to another reviewer, I thought cruise director Heather Clancy was the best. She was the friendliest, most visible, and most talented of all my cruises. She even performed a whole show herself, sang at other times, and even led the prayer service! The ship never felt crowded and lines were rare. However, it was only at about 2/3 capacity. I loved the blue and sand tones in the decorating. The bathroom was also the best of all my cruises. The rest of the cabin had plenty of drawer space, but I did miss the walk-in closet and full window area of another luxury cruise line. The food was wonderful. There were so many choices that I wasn't able to have some of my favorites at more than one meal. I was a little apprehensive about the Chef's Table, but I loved it both times I went. Also, the staff gives excellent service to people with special diets. The entertainment was all musical, no magicians or comedians. I especially enjoyed the Abba concert, Robyn North's show, and the ticketed Rat Pack show. The shore excursions were very well organized and paced and the local guides were all good. I wish we could have had a choice of included excursions at each port though. Now for a few things that weren't so good. First, luggage did not arrive with me and about 99 other people at the airport. After reading other reviews, I was prepared for this and had enough essentials to carry me through until it arrived. Bergen is a small airport, making transportation there more difficult. Lastly, there was a mechanical problem, so we arrived at our final port about a day late. We were compensated with a voucher during the week after the cruise. Still, this was unexpected with such a new ship. And in between, I wish there would have been TV reception in the fitness room, incentives for participation in activities, and menus to consult before making restaurant reservations for future evenings. Also, the first Meet & Mingle was not well attended because people didn't get their invitations. But then they scheduled a second one with an ample attendance of passengers and staff. All in all, this cruise was the best luxury cruise I've been on for value.

The Cruise with the Best Service

Viking Sea Cruise Review by mhedge

All in all, this cruise was the best luxury cruise I've been on for value.
mhedge’s Full Rating Summary
Get Viking Sea price drops

The square footage and drawer space were ample. The bathroom was way above average because of the shower seat and heated floor and mirror. The refrigerator got restocked most, but not all, of the time. Our cabin steward and his assistant were the best and most visible ever. The location towards the bow was a little rockier than I expected.

• Bergen
    The rain, which actually wasn't as much as predicted, put a damper on the experience. Norway was having its rainiest July in a long time.
    View All 647 Bergen Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Bergen Cruise Port Review
  • Paris
    It took less time than expected to travel to and from Paris. We got a longer bus tour than I expected before we toured on our own for just the right amount of time. Then afterwards we had a photo stop at the Eiffel Tower. August is holiday month for residents, so it was a good time for us to be there.
  • City Tour
    Everything about this tour was excellent, especially the monastery and the Unesco heritage site tower. It even included "cakes," which were warm custard tarts, from a local busy bakery.
    View All 81 City Tour Reviews
  • Malaga City Tour
    This was a gorgeous city of both old and new. The views from above were wonderful.
    View All 38 Malaga City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    This was a very naturally beautiful place. In a first for the ship, a couple on the ship got engaged here.
    View All 72 City Tour Reviews
  • City Tour
    This was a wonderful old city. We happened to be their on one of their windy days which made it slightly less enjoyable.
    View All 24 City Tour Reviews