• Help Ukrainian Families in Need: World Central Kitchen Donation Match

laurel.finch7@gmail.com
2-5 Cruises • Age 30s

Sail Date: Aug 2016
Cabin: Balcony

My husband and I sailed on the Victory to Freeport and Nassau from August 14th – 18th, and we had an amazing time! It was my fifth cruise, fourth with Carnival, and my husband’s first cruise. He was already talking about our “next cruise” by the second day, and I think it was my best cruise yet. I had read quite a few bad reviews of the ship, so I was nervous, but it ended up being fine. There were a few minor hiccups, but nothing that had an actual impact on how much we enjoyed our vacation.

Embarkation was a breeze. We parked at Park Port Canaveral for about half the price of parking at the terminal, and they shuttled us to and from the port, and helped with our luggage. We had Faster to the Fun, so we got to the port around noon and were onboard by 12:15. After grabbing lunch, we went straight to our cabin, Balcony Cabin 8405, which we were pleasantly surprised to find had been updated with a flat-screen TV, new thermostat, new carpet, and refurbished tile and vanity in the bathroom. We met our steward and requested to have our room turned down morning and evening. I think that only happened once or twice, since our nap times kept aligning perfectly with their cleaning schedules, but everything stayed clean and well stocked. We ordered room service breakfast three out of the four mornings with the door-handle cards. On the first morning, it never got picked up, but I just called in our order and it was still delivered within the time frame we put on the order card, so no harm, no foul. I was worried about the sewery smell that several other reviewers had mentioned, but we only noticed it a few times, and it was mild and fleeting, and never in our cabin.

I did not notice the lines for food nearly as much as I had expected to. The only time we waited more than five minutes for food at any of the buffets was on embarkation day lunch, which was to be expected. We ate lunch in the lido restaurant every afternoon and one morning. We didn’t care for the desserts on the lido deck, but everything else was great. The Mexican buffet on Night 3 was excellent! We got late-night pizza a few times, and Carnival must have listened to the feedback about the understaffed station and long lines, because there were always two of three guys working at the pizza station, and only a short wait. The best food and service, of course, was in the dining room. The first two nights, we were seated at a table for four, and our tablemates never showed up. We ended up asking to move to a table for two by the window in the same section of the dining room for the last two nights, and they had no problem with that. I was slightly disappointed that the only selections at Afternoon Tea on the sea day were plain Lipton black tea and plain Bigelow green tea, which were also available everyday on the lido deck. I expected at least a couple other types varieties to be offered at the event specifically about tea, but it wasn’t a huge deal.

Balcony

Cabin 8F

We were pleasantly surprised to discover that our cabin had been upgraded with a new TV, thermostat, and bathroom cosmetics. We had plenty of room, and loved the location. We felt just enough movement to remind us that we were out in the ocean, but too much rocking.

6 Helpful Votes