3. Carnival Breeze
This was our 3rd time with Carnival and 5th time overall cruising. The Breeze is one of the newest ships and has a few amenities that are nice but it really feels like not much has changed over the years. The food at the buffets are mediocre at best. The deserts don't have much flavor in general aside from the amazing chocolate melting cake. The breakfast buffet is the worst though. Unless you like just eating cereal and the banana bread and fruit it's definitely worth skipping. The bright spots on the free food list are the burgers and fries at Guy's, the burrito bar, and the deli. Carnival is begging you to pay the extra fees for the upgraded food at their specialty restaurants. We have done the steakhouse in the past and it was very good. My wife on the final night had the surf and turf for the $20 upcharge in the Blush dining room and was very happy with it. There are some good items on their regular dinner menus that do taste good but way too many, especially any italian dishes, lack flavor and are usually overcooked. Our server Walter was very good and liked to interact with us as well as our children when they were there. I gave him free reign to choose my 3 courses one night without myself even looking at the menu and was happy with all of his selections, 2 of which I never would have ordered(escargot and the seafood medley-don't remember the actual name). Our room attendants did a nice job of keeping our room in good shape which is difficult with our 2 kids always messing everything up. It did seem like that service was missing at times throughout the dining locations and buffet tables. We saw a glass that was on a railing on one of the floors still sitting there the next day. My guess is that there is insufficient staff to keep up with everything more than it is a performance issue. I liked some of the shows and thought that the thrill theater (4D) was pretty cool (extra fee). My wife was disappointed with all of them for one reason or another but mainly because there is very little performance involved with them. We saw a few of the comics and they were hit or miss. The embarkation and debarkation were amazing although faster to the fun had a lot to do with that I'm thinking. Again.... more money. Now, the terrible... We chose the cove balcony this cruise this trip as we normally pick the regular balconies for our cruises. We have heard great things about them and initially it seemed to live up to those expectations. Then the smell started. I first thought it was paint at our stop in Key West. Then maybe exhaust by the time we hit Freeport. But the more we dealt with it, the more we realized that it was a fuel smell. The worst was when leaving our final port at Nassau when we couldn't even stay on our balcony to view the Atlantis resort as the smell gave both myself and my wife a terrible headache. Even worse was that the smell blew into our room which ultimately forced me to leave my cabin. We kept thinking that it was a maintenance related issue and a result of picking a cove balcony which is so close to the water and where all of the equipment like the life rafts and such are. We still don't know what exactly was causing it and I'm not sure Carnival did either but they did reduce our fees to comp us which was nice of them. Upon leaving the final day I talked with a few passengers who were in the adjacent 4 balcony rooms, each of which were comped for various reasons, mainly an A/C related water dripping issue. We never experienced it in our room but I felt it in the lido marketplace as well as the kids club elevator entrance which makes me believe that it is a ship-wide issue. For a ship that is only 4 years old, it certainly has its share of problems. We never used our balcony the final 3 days of our trip and only sparingly throughout the week. All in all, I came away from this cruise with the feeling like if I had spent extra money on every night on entertainment and food we would have had a significant difference of opinion on the quality of the ship. You get what you pay for and Carnival has made a point to get you on the ship at the cheapest price but then nickel and dime you to give you a similar experience to other companies out there which ultimately costs you more than had you booked on the other ships like Norwegian and Royal Carribean.

Cove Balcony Nightmare

Ages 7 to 9
Get Carnival Breeze price drops

Cove Balcony
Cabin 7C 2279
The room and service quality were fine as we had no issues with the staff and both were pleasant. The smell of fuel from our balcony area killed our entire experience though. Other rooms nearby were reporting A/C related dripping issues as well.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Beach
    We got a day pass to the resort which cost $25 for adult and $15 for children. They only accept cash FYI. It was very nice for how inexpensive it was. The sand was very soft and it wasn't too busy either. No extras were included though but drinks were reasonably priced. I believe my mixed drinks were under $7. They had jetskis, kayaks and paddleboards there for additional charges as well.
  • Beach
    For $35 adult and $25 child you get access to the best beach(Cable) outside of Paradise island which costs you twice this price. They also have multiple pools if you need a break from the salt water one of which has a waterfall. Note- you no longer have free access to kayaking and paddleboarding. They are $33 pp. now! Also snorkeling is limited to 1 hour pp. Drinks are more expensive than on the cruise ship ($12 each) and for 10oz. only.