3. Brilliance of the Seas
We booked this cruise for our anniversary and chose it almost exclusively for the ports. After reading the reviews I was a bit apprehensive and found that, unfortunately, they were mostly accurate. First, embarkation was smooth-no issues. We had a balcony room which was fine-no real issues. The speaker in the room was broke but that didn't bother us at all. The water was ALWAYS warm however, no way to get a glass of water or take a cool shower but also not a major deal. Our stateroom attendant, San, was very nice and efficient. We found the food to be good to above average. Good selection but it is obvious they are cutting corners from the past-no lobster (unless you pay $34.95) or shrimp cocktail. There was always something there to like so impossible to go hungry. We got breakfast room service a few mornings to avoid the buffet rush and although the eggs were a bit watery and the toast was always hard it was fine. Not much they can do about toast-by the time it's delivered is impossible to stay soft and warm. They always showed up on time and were polite. Our waiters, Joe and Anok, were great. Always friendly and efficient-really made the cruise more enjoyable. I got the drink package so dealt with bar personnel often. The folks in the Centrum, Manny, Alexandra, Olga and a fourth guy whose name escapes me were excellent. However, personnel at the pool bar really didn't seem to care too much about anything and the guy who works in the Cafe Latitudes was AWFUL. The first time I went for a drink he had me sign (only person to do so) I assume as the keypad asks if you want to add an additional gratuity-which were already pre-paid with the package. I declined and he was an absolute jerk after that. Lucky if he even nodded in your direction-zero manners of courtesy. Gave me a hard time one night as the drink package tag was a bit worn-reminded me of the soup nazi from Seinfeld and looked like him too. A major issue were the teenagers running through the ship pretty much all the time, or hanging in packs on the stairs and sliding down the railings while straddling them-not hygienic AT ALL. We were in the Colony Club one night with a lady singing-when a group came running through she stopped in the middle of her song and politely told them to walk and she got a very loud and long round of applause from the entire room-nearly everyone mentioned it and had enough. One night while my wife and I were in the centrum with a large group of people someone spit, yes spit, from a floor high above and got her on the dress. Not just a little bit mind you, a large disgusting blob. I ran upstairs but they were gone-pretty safe to assume it was one of the teens. While we were going up so she could change I ran into the Captain and told him of the problem. He told me he was going to contact Security and check the cameras and I gave him my information-never heard a single work back from him or anyone-pretty poor customer service especially for a platinum member who has spent thousands on RC. Manny in the Centrum bar got us a free dry-cleaning certificate, real good guy and the only person who went out of his way on this issue, but the folks at guest services put "drink spilled"-not sure if this was intentional or a misunderstanding. Ports were all good with the exception of Crete which we were re-routed to due to poor weather in Santorini-nothing RC can do about this so no problems. Excursions were good. A couple of the guides, Rome, Ephesus and Pisa/Lucca were excellent. The one in Malta was disinterested and they had boat problems but he was OK. The woman for the Seyennes village tours was real bad. Left everyone as soon as the bus parked-didn't see her again until we boarded-gave little or no information during the bus ride. When I asked her info about a church she asked where I was from, when I told her the US she said, and I quote, "I am sorry but I laugh everytime someone tells me they are from the US, you are all just immigrants". And she works for tips! Info for folks-the arrogance of the majority of French and Spaniards was pretty evident on the ship. Not sure why, cultural perhaps, but they would cut in front of you in lines, push through constantly. I was run into from behind while standing in the art gallery nearly knocking me over and when I turned to confront the person, assuming it was a male, there was a French woman who just continued on without so much as an excuse me. A group of Spaniards would place towels on numerous chairs in the Solarium EVERY day first thing in the morning and keep them there all day even though they were rarely there. Chairs are at a premium-pretty inconsiderate but nothing was every done. All in all it was a good cruise due to the ports but it is pretty evident RC is no longer in a class above others-pretty average.

Royal is slipping.

Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by Maz636

Maz636’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the Seas price drops

Was fine-decent size. Couple of minor issues but worked out OK.
  Brilliance of the Seas Deck Plans

• City Tour
    Guide was real nice. Athens is pretty bad-concrete jungle but the Acropolis is a must see. Also stopped at the Olympic stadium which was great to see. I don't have a need to go back but once is worth it for sure.
    View All 154 City Tour Reviews
  • Villages of Provence
    Average as the villages were pretty nice to see-spend way too much time at the second stop-everyone was ready to leave an hour prior. Woman who was the tour guide was pretty bad to say the least, insulted Americans (me) by saying we were all "just a bunch of immigrants". This was in response to me asking how old a church was and her asking where I was from. There was nothing at all negative prior. She would leave as soon as the bus stopped and we would not see her again until we went to the meeting point other than one brief walk though Seyennes. Gave little useful or interesting info when she did talk.
    View All 4 Villages of Provence Reviews
  • Leaning Tower of Pisa
    Was ok-packed with people. 30 minutes is more than enough.
    View All 131 Leaning Tower of Pisa Reviews
  • Lucca Walking Tour
    Tour guide was excellent. Pisa was fine-not much other than the tower and is VERY crowded and full of pick-pockets. Saw one hiding behind a car changing her clothes. Lucca was fantastic. Nice people, beautiful village, very interesting. Would go again.
    View All 36 Lucca Walking Tour Reviews
  • Ephesus
    Ephesus is a must see. Guide was awesome-very informative, friendly and knowledgeable. One of the best excursions I have ever been on. Rug stop at the end is a waste unless you want to spend thousands on a rug-very nice but not for me.
  • City Tour
    Did the city tour and harbor cruise-both were real good. Guide was quite disinterested-spent much more time conversing with the bus driver in their native tongue than he did describing spots along the way. First boat had mechanical issues so we all ended up walking a long way to get the second one and were delayed a while. Several older folks who struggled with that but even with those issues it's a great place to see.
    View All 71 City Tour Reviews
  • Rome on Your Own
    Tour guide was very nice and informative. We tried walking on our own but was tough as the street signs are limited. City is amazing-lots to see-could use a lot more time. People are not very friendly, went to a restaurant and had horrible service but didn't go to see them so it was cool. Lot of homeless and pick-pockets so just be wary.
    View All 155 Rome on Your Own Reviews