3. Emerald Star
Following a previous very successful cruise on the Rhine and Mosel with Riviera, my friends and I, aged 70, decided to repeat the experience. After 2 nights at the Sheraton, Bucharest, we embarked on the Emerald Sun at Silistra to sail up the Danube to Budapest. When I booked our holiday, there were the only 2 cabins left on the Vista Deck, 237 and 238. I was concerned about the possible noise from the engine because two of us have real problems with sleeping, so I asked a member of staff very specific questions about this. I was reassured that this should not be a problem as she said there was very little night sailing on this cruise. I informed my friends and, on the basis of this information, we booked those cabins the next day. The cruise was expensive but we were celebrating our coming of age so willing to splash out a bit. On our first night on the River, we cruised for most of the night and not only the engine noise and vibration (particularly when docking) but also the loud hum from the generator disturbed our sleep. We spoke to the rep on board, who informed us that we would be cruising most nights for most of the night, owing to the long distances to be travelled. We explained what we had been told by the Emerald lady and she said that this was not uncommon and had happened several times before, passengers had been given incorrect information over the phone. Although we found the ship and its staff to be of an extremely high standard, none of us had a particularly successful holiday because of the cabin noise at night, and this was increased by the fact that, had we been given accurate information about the cabins and the night sailing, we would never have booked the holiday. I complained on return and received a totally inadequate response. No mention was made of the specific complaint about misinformation so I phoned the Company to request this. Having said that they could not discuss complaints on the phone, they told me that they had no written record of the information I was given so nothing could be done. On the ship I was told they recorded phone calls and would look up the information, today I was told they don't. What happened to the customer being right? I know what I was told, and that was responsible for our not enjoying our holiday as we should have. I would strongly encourage potential passengers to try to get accurate information about cabins before you book, some cabins are extremely noisy. Another couple in 217 said the noise from the ventilation shaft and stairs, not shown on the deck plans in the brochure, was also unbearable. Customer Services were very poor in responding to our complaint, information given to us pre-cruise totally inaccurate, obviously given by someone who had little knowledge of that particular cruise, clearly getting bookings is more important than facts. My friends and I certainly will not use Emerald again, I would suggest that you go for Riviera.

Duff information from Emerald rep.

Emerald Star Cruise Review by dosyrosy