Viking Odin Cruise Review

Viking Odin Cruise Review by drfoto

• Sail Date: Jul 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Suite

My wife and I wanted to try a river cruise after many prior ocean cruises. The Viking Odin was immaculate with beautiful Scandinavian design. The crew was extremely gracious and attentive. The cruise was made especially memorable by the Cruise Director, Claudia Diederix, whose role simply cannot be overstated. Claudia became the face of the cruise, her perpetual smile, humor and client sensitivity unparalleled among industry staff to which we've been exposed over decades of travel.

If I had to sum up the trip in a single word it would be "easy." Everything about the excursions, on board arrangements, dining was handled so effortlessly that both my wife and I continually remarked on how well being part of this tour turned out. Aside from the entrée during a single meal, I found the food quite pleasant, with reasonable portions, a welcome change from over loaded plates that encourage over-eating (of course you could always ask for more!).

If there was any criticism, and I have to really think to find one, it would be how the Prague city walking tour ended. The tour finished in Prague's Old Town, leaving clients there to make their own way back to the trip designated hotel at the city's outskirts. It was implied that walking back was easy, when in fact to someone unfamiliar with Prague it could be a long, warm walk in late July. My wife and I are avid walkers so this was not a problem for us (and we actually walked the distance several times) but for some of the older clients this was perceived as an unnecessary hardship. There probably should have been the option of a Viking pickup point at a designated time to provide transportation back to the Prague hotel. This sort of transportation was available everywhere else on the cruise so it's absence in Prague for this event was an anomaly that in no way diminishes our overall recommendation which we enthusiastically make without reservation. To end on a more positive note, I commend Viking for the inclusion of a "no-fee" day tour in each destination. It's so annoying on a typical cruise to be charged exorbitant prices for shore excursions. The standard tours (there are optional fee based tours available) were of excellent quality and we took advantage of almost every one. I've little doubt we will travel with Viking again.

drfoto's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Suite
Cabin AA 305

Upgraded for our anniversary and thoroughly enjoyed the additional space. Ironically the larger quarters paradoxically included less drawer space than the standard room we originally booked, but it's possible to arrange belongings in the space available.

Old Town Walking Tour