3. Grand Princess
The check in process was flawless. Security was fast, the short line to check in moved very quickly, as there were many people on staff. Our bags were delivered quickly to our room. Our steward was lovely, attentive to our many particular requirements and always gracious and considerate. We'd been on a Princess cruise before, so we knew what to expect in the room. Our balcony room was sufficiently spacious, with enough storage space for our stuff and thankfully, many many closet hangers, which we used completely. I usually have to ask them to bring more, so this was a pleasant surprise. The food was fine as far as we were concerned. There was every type of breakfast one could think of, with minor daily variations in the smoked fish provided. It did feel repetitive by the 9th day, but I can't think of what they could add, since everything was already there. The 2 dining rooms each presented the same menu for dinner, with daily variations on one section and the same nightly selections in another. The daily variety was a good idea. Some dishes were wonderful and others just so so. I would have liked every choice to have been a WOW, but there was certainly enough food, the staff would bring more of whatever you wanted, and there was always at least one dish that was very good. I'm surprised to read the food complaints of some other guests. I'm not that easy to please, but I certainly enjoyed myself at every meal, to the tune of a few new pounds. There was nightly dancing in 3 different locations with varying types of music. The piano player on the 7th floor was great some nights and just so so others. The seats around his piano area were always packed. I went to only 1 singing and dancing show, and the actors there were excellent. I especially enjoyed the choreography. The comedian was sufficiently funny, as was the magician, but don't expect Broadway. The stores were uninspiring. There was expensive jewelry and not much else of note. The fleece sweatshirt I bought was the only quality item I found at a fair (retail) cost. The crap they sold for $10 on set days was a joke. It was of such poor quality that it makes one question the level of the clientele Princess expects. The ubiquitous strings of 'gold' (plated) by the inch were another ripoff for the passengers, which I had seen on another cruise as well. The service everywhere was excellent. The staff tried hard to please and did a great job. (Again, I wonder why a guest would rate this poor. It wasn't my experience at all. All in all, the cruise was just as we expected it to be and we were not disappointed. I might be a bit tired of very large ships however, and we might make our next cruise a river trip on a smaller boat. We did not feel crowded by the presence of so many others, since the ship is so spread out, but walking front to back and back to front became tiring.

It was just as we expected it to be and we were not disappointed.

Grand Princess Cruise Review by gcj