3. Koningsdam
We are a family of four, with children ages 9 and 7. We traveled with my mother who also had a friend on board. There was something for each of us! The kids are BEGGING to go on another cruise. They utilized the kids area, the pool, the ping pong tournaments and all the excursions. Our stateroom was a balcony on 11 and I would recommend it. I would NOT recommend the cabins on 10, specifically those that are closest to the pool area. The large video screen that plays movies is in very close proximity to the 10th floor staterooms and the noise level is evident. Space: we put one kid in the room with my husband and I and the other kid in my mom's room which connected. We did fine on space with 3, but we used every nook and cranny. My mom and daughter and more than ample room with just 2 people. I think trying to get 4 in there would be tight. Of note, this was a Norway cruise, so we had to bring warmer (i.e. bulkier) clothes. We also all brought hiking boots for pulpit rock. Clothes for the Carribbean would not require as much space as we needed. Smoking: not an issue for this cruise. I only saw one person smoking on a balcony over the 14 days, and I was out there daily. The casino was virtually deserted. Maybe less than 20 people in it at any given time. A handful of those would smoke. The exhaust system seemed to work well for this low level of required work. The lido is organized differently than other ships. There are multiple different stations (for lack of better word) and it takes a bit for passengers to figure out the flow. The tables are frequently full at breakfast, but you can take your food out to the pool area (same floor). Crew members have all tables on 9 and 10 in the main pool area set for breakfast. Once we discovered this life got much better! We had fixed dining for dinner in the MDR. The atmosphere was lovely. The food was just okay. I never had anything that was bad, but I also never had anything that was exceptionally good either. The exception is the one night that my husband and I ate at Pinnacle Grill- that food was outstanding. Service was good. Our beverage guy the first week was better and more friendly than the beverage guy the second week. Otherwise, every single member of the dining room team was exceptional. My mom and her friend enjoyed the shows each night in the World Stage. That isn't my cup of tea so my husband and I would relax in the Crow's Nest and enjoy a few drinks. We did occasionally take in some of the live music and it was phenomenal. The ship does inundate you with invitations to art auctions and jewelry shows. That did get a bit annoying. I would have loved to opt out of all those invites on my door each day. This was our first cruise on this line and I had been warned that it was more of a senior cruise line. I know with this ship HAL is trying to bring in more families and I would say they succeeded in that. I would jump at the chance to sail on this ship again.

Worked Great for Families

Ages 7 to 9
Get Holland America Koningsdam price drops

Verandah Stateroom
Cabin VB 11041
Highly recommend this cabin. The 11th floor was so quiet but offered great access to the outdoor track on 11, the kids area and ping pong area on 10, the pool on 9 and the fitness center on 8. The aft stairs/elevators are the only ones to these cabins. Yes, the restaurants are further away, but with a family we found much of our going/comings were in these activity areas.

Plenty of space for 3 people to unpack.
Sun Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins