3. Seven Seas Explorer
We have been loyal Regent cruisers for more than ten years and were very excited when reading about the new Regent Explorer. The ship is, indeed, spectacular. The design is unique and elegant in all regards. Fabulous wide, winding staircases allow for open views of numerous public areas. We found the staff overall to be up to the normal Regent standards. I am always amazed when a server in a restaurant venue remembers our names after serving us at an earlier meal. How do they do that? A noticeable exception, however, was the Reception Desk. One staff member in particular, a tall dark-haired man, was openly rude on two separate occasions. Neither he nor the woman at the desk at the time attempted to solve my query. I had never experienced this sort of treatment on a Regent cruise before, and it does leave me worrying about the training and hiring practices of those in charge of this new ship, perhaps affected by Norwegian policies now in place? Our cabin, an F2, was lovely and spacious. The bed and the bedding were sumptuous and super comfortable. We were a bit disappointed, however, that the only seating in the cabin was on the small sofa that faced a desk and bar area. On other Regent cruises we had an upholstered chair in addition to the sofa, which made seating options more comfortable. A small point, and one that is certainly open to personal tastes, I for one prefer a lighter tone in the cabin decor. While the dark blue was striking, it can be a bit gloomy, especially on grey days. The closet was amazing! So many drawers and huge areas for hanging clothes. This closet would surely accommodate anyone on even a World Cruise! The bathroom also was spacious with room to accommodate all one's needs. The entertainment was excellent. The classical guitarist Vincenzo was terrific. Even better was the pianist, Panas Karan. He was amazing. We bought CDs from both so that we can continue enjoying their talents here at home. The other shows were pretty normal Regent fare. Lectures as usual were well presented and informative. Food at all the restaurants was good. We had a bad experience at Prime 7 on our second night at sea, but the manager sent an apology and we had a very pleasant meal there later on the voyage. Chartreuse is a very nice addition to the Regent restaurants. We had several wonderful meals there. And Compass Rose was its normal excellent self. I did get a bit off with La Veranda, but that may just be my personal taste as there was no particular event or food that sticks in my mind. The fine art pieces that were found throughout the ship were interesting, but some I question. They were very dark in mood and some even with disturbing elements, not the sort of thoughts I really want to entertain while sailing on such a ship in some of the most beautiful sites in the world. I'll consider the travails of life at home, if I must. I must admit, however, that we did expect some sort of special events and/or activities that would be associated with the Maiden Voyage of a new ship. This was a noticeable omission, and I wonder why some celebration or something wasn't offered. Otherwise, the Maiden Voyage was just like any other voyage except with new ship and staff hiccups. Overall, Regent once again provided us with a wonderful vacation and I believe that the Explorer will be a worthwhile addition to Regent Seven Seas.

Explorer Maiden Voyage 2016

Seven Seas Explorer Cruise Review by DECARuss

DECARuss’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Explorer price drops

Superior Suite
Cabin F2 905
Very comfortable. Spotlessly clean.
Deck 9 Suite Cabins