3. Britannia
Just returned from a 14 night cruise around the Med on Britannia, celebrating my birthday with my close family. Wish i could say what a fabulous ship she is, but i am left feeling somewhat disappointed that most of the time i was bored! I am surprised that a ship boasting to be a family ship has very little "family" activities to participate in, however if you want time away from the children the kids clubs were excellent and kept them amused most days, but i felt sad that we were not having experiences together onboard. Most of the evening entertainment seemed very adult themed too.Throughout the whole trip the only family activity we took part in was juggling (thanks to Abbie for teaching us)! If you like quizzes then you will be very happy as there were a million of these a day. The food however was great, and we were very well looked after in the Penninsular dining room. My daughter has a gluten intolernce and Francis (the head waiter) made sure every day that her following evening meal was suitable and enjoyable. I knew at the time of booking that the room size was always going to be a bit of an issue and that was the case, I would suggest with two adults and two teenage children you spend that bit extra on bigger rooms as we lived (literally) on top of each other. Manoj did an excellent job at keeping our room clean and the beds were set up and put away each day. We visited some amazing ports, Rome by far being our favourite, but was disappointed that we had Gibralter changed at the beginning of our holiday, then we couldnt tender in Monte Carlo because of high waves. The captain was very apologetic and gave us extra time in Barcelona, although disappointed better to be safe that sorry. The ships decor was very dark, and Brodies bar felt like we were down the local pub, a very grimey pub, with no atmosphere. One pool table for all and a casino down the other side. Costa coffee didnt taste like costa coffee at all and they had the cheek to charge £1.60 for water to add to the teabag in a cup which you could have gotten in the Horizon for free! Feel really sad that we have spent alot of money on my birthday cruise and have come home feeling we wished we'd have gone somewhere else as a family. The ship is just too big and feels like a money machine...such a shame!

Too big, too boring