3. Carnival Ecstasy
This was our first cruise on Carnival, and very likely our last. Over the past 40 years, we have averaged a cruise per year, so we have a good basis of comparison. Carnival's definition of "Fun" seems be be "Noise, and lots of it." You can't eat a quiet dinner without commercials, marching and singing waiters, and a lot of racket. Every venue in the ship seemed to be playing its music at the highest possible level.

Ecstasy was built in 1991, and shows its age. I don't know if they had stabilizers on the ship, but the ship's motion and passenger sea sickness I saw made me think that there were none. Ship design left much to be desired. I could find only two, one-person, restrooms adjacent to the Panorama Grill on the Lido deck. One was marked, "Women"; the other, "Men/Women". Restrooms on the aft end of the Promenade deck were well hidden. Trying to walk from one end of the ship to the other on the Atlantic deck was impossible. Because of the dining room locations, one had to go up or down a deck to get through.

The food may have been tasty - what there was of it. Breakfast waffles in the Wind Star restaurant were about 3"x3" or about 9 square inches. (In contrast, the 7 - 8 inch diameter waffle one can make at any Comfort Inn is about 30 square inches.) My omelet appeared to be made from one egg. A cream cheese serving for a bagel was enough to cover one half the bagel. Presentation was also poor. I was appalled when my second cup of tea at dinner was only a new container of hot water. It seems I was expected to reuse my old teabag. (It took a separate request to get a fresh bag.)

When we boarded our cabin, we noted that the sink drain did not let the water out easily. Despite several calls for the plumber, the drain never worked right. We had to remove it from the sink, where we were able to see all the mold that had accumulated.

Entertainment was for the birds. It seemed as though Carnival was trying to save money by having its very talented CD do everything but dance in the production numbers. The comedians were passably funny in the regular shows, but seemed to rely on language as a substitute for humor in the 11:00pm adult comedy hour.

My wife was surprised to find that cabin amenities did not even match those in an Econo Lodge, for example. No hair dryer, no hand lotion.

Sorry, Carnival, you're not for these long time cruisers.

Ecstasy - Western Caribbean

Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by grampsoldi

• Sail Date: April 2009
  • Destination: Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Interior Upper/Lower

Sorry, Carnival, you're not for these long time cruisers.

grampsoldi’s Full Rating Summary

Interior Upper/Lower
Cabin 1A
Engine vibrations very evident.
One person cabin capacity, unless a companion is willing to climb into an upper berth.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins