3. Emerald Princess
We decided to go on the Emerald Princess for our first cruise due to the wonderful destinations it stopped at - Barcelona, Rome, Pisa, Florence, Genoa, Corsica, Marseilles and Gibraltar. I wasn't disappointed - these destinations were FAB-U-LOUS. Embarking onto the ship was dream - hardly any queuing time. Thank goodness they had porters to take our 5 huge suitcases to our rooms. The ship itself looked amazing; I was impressed. Everywhere was clean, tidy and well kept. The cabin, an inside one, was just as I expected - quite small. However, for the price we paid I was fine with that as we knew we wouldn't be spending much time in there. I found the beds were extremely comfortable and the shower was fabulous( the water came out strong). Even though there was no window, I didn't find it too much of a problem as i just turned the TV onto the channel showing the ships position. Unfortunately, there was not much storage facilities for three of us and I would highly recommend bringing your own hangers as they only supplied about 12 of them. The food in the ANYTIME dining rooms was absolutely delicious. The service was excellent and the waiters would cater to your every need. There were a few times I didn't fancy any of the starters or soups on the menu - this was not a problem as i just ordered a main course in its place. One evening i had salmon to start, followed by lobster tail and king prawns, then finished with beef wellington (All main courses) On another evening, the beef fillet was so mouth-wateringly tasty, the waiters brought me another piece as they could see I was in heaven. Nothing was too much trouble for the waiters. The food at all the other restaurants - Horizon Court and Cafe Caribe was just as good. If you didn't like what was on offer, there was always pizza or the grill. The food on board was amazing. Most of the service on board was beyond excellent. However, a few of the waiters on the ship were extremely miserable which made me feel uncomfortable at times. On a few occasions, when I was waiting at the bar to be served , the bar tenders would serve the customers with gold cards first ( the elite passengers) which was a bit annoying. What really let this cruise down was the bad entertainment on board! I was extremely let down. Quite a few activities were just a way of selling products to customers. For example I went to one entitled - Complimentary Facial and Sunglow Application. I'm not naive - i knew this would be a ploy to get people into the beauty salon to see what is on offer. However, what I did not expect was to spend an hour listening to all the therapies on offer while PUTTING ON MY OWN face creams. I also went to a back pain seminar but all they tried to do is sell me some plastic insteps for my shoes. You live and learn. We also saw a magician in the Princess Theatre, who was good - if your a child aged 7 or below and some shows where the singing made my ears bleed. All was not bad - I did love all the trivia challenges and game shows that were organised but they only lasted for 40 minutes. There were also some great musicians on in the different bars, but finding a seat was almost impossible unless you arrived an hour before they started. Loved Movies under the Stars and watched films like The Martian, Starwars, Eddie the Eagle, Batman versus Superman and Joy. The ship was at full capacity, which meant that finding a sun lounger or seat in the bars could be extremely difficult. Because it was so busy, the teen club was a big disappointment for my son who is 13. Over 300 teens were registered and on the first night most of them tried to squash into the Teen Lounge. Many were 15 years or above and this totally overwhelmed my son. Needless to say - he didn't go back. Disembarkation was good - fast and efficient.The shore excursions provided by the ship were expensive but well organised. We only went on one with the ship - the tortoise and beach getaway - which we enjoyed. The rest we arranged with cruisingexcursions.com, who were fab. We splashed out on a private tour around Rome with this company and it was sooooo worth the money. If you want to make your own way around each port, be warned - you have to pay for some of the shuttle buses. You would have thought Princess Cruises would have put on some free transport! I will definitely go on another cruise but will try another company next time.

Emerald Princess Mediterranean Adventure

Emerald Princess Cruise Review by thelovelybigred

I will definitely go on another cruise but will try another company next time.
thelovelybigred’s Full Rating Summary