3. Seven Seas Explorer
We chose this much lauded inaugural cruise on REGENT'S EXPLORER I want to start this review by saying something nice (it goes downhill from here). Whoever designed the ship & did the interior design did a fabulous job. It's lovely! End of good news. We paid an outrageous sum of money to be on the inaugural voyage because we read that this was going to be an amazing experience. It was - for all the wrong reasons. The "executive" staff had an "attitude" - notably at the guest services desk. They were borderline obnoxious especially one man who questioned my "motive" for settling the bill a day early. "Don't you expect to be spending more money?". Huh? Another very unpleasant person is an Italian gal who works in the Pacific Rim restaurant. Woah - she was so nasty we found ourselves walking out of our way to avoid her! All this for top dollar! We were on the 8th floor - aft. There was a constant smell in the hallways of food wafting from somewhere. I actually had to hold my breath, as I walked down the hall, because it was nauseating! The food was good in most of the restaurants but never really hot, just lukewarm. The exception being "Compass Rose" which we thought was bad - mushy vegetables & lukewarm fish. Not to mention the snot nose maître d' who asked our cabin #'s - we were 3rd tier from the top & then tried to seat us right next to the door where the waiters were bringing in the food. Not sure if the kitchen was behind those doors. Clearly a hierarchal system in play. I mentioned this to the G.M. who just about shrugged his shoulders - never heard back from him after this. On top of everything else - and keep in mind the prices were exorbitant! - Regent didn't provide top notch entertainment. The same lovely, but underpaid, Filipino 3 person ensemble - was everywhere. Not to mention the cruise director who sang, danced & read the announcements. We were on Seabourn's "Quest" inauguration cruise & it was a class act. Never again will we cruise on Regent which is owned by Norwegian cruise lines. They claim its a notch above but its not! The prices are but you might as well be on Celebrity or Princess! Save your money! Clearly, all the money was put into the décor. Oh, and the captain barely had time for the guests. We ran into him several times & got a slight nod! He was more interested in following his family around who were onboard. Have to thank him, though, since we arrived safely. Want to shout out to several workers who did a great job - Georgio, Spyder, Katerina & Alex.

Beauty Is Only Skin Deep!

Seven Seas Explorer Cruise Review by Charlotte Cummings

Charlotte Cummings’s Full Rating Summary
Get Seven Seas Explorer price drops

Deluxe Veranda Suite
Cabin G2
Decorated beautifully - a bit smaller than we expected. Nice, but small, bathroom, with separate shower. Since the ship is brand new - everything looked good. We did have a problem with the light turning on in the closet. It took 3 days to fix.
Deck 9 Suite Cabins