3. Radiance of the Seas
This was the first Alaskan Cruise for our family of 6 adults, and the first overall cruise for 3/6. We stayed in Vancouver at the Pan Pacific, which was a perfect location for boarding the ship. We had a very smooth embarkation, and were on the ship within minutes! All our staterooms were well-maintained (9636, 9508, and 1532 - Grand Suite). The cruise itself was beautiful! I've read other reviews saying the ship looked worn, but I disagree. While you could see minor details that may be worn down, the overall ship was still breathtaking! I mean, c'mon, the ship is 15 years old, what do you expect?? Room stewards were attentive, but usually invisible. The water in one of our rooms did go out the last evening, but did not cause too many problems for us as we left the next morning. We loved our cruise directors, Jamie and Lizzy! Just hilarious! Our captain was also great. We had slightly rough waters the first day, but after that day, you couldn't even tell we were moving! Main dining room service was good, but a little stressful at first. Our waiter seemed a little distant and was difficult to hear/understand, but we got used to him and his dry humor. Food was for the most part delicious, and we loved that we were brought extras of appetizers and entrees so everyone could try them! Service elsewhere was great, especially the Schooner Bar (Lincoln the bartender was fantastic towards my two sons!) My husband a adult sons each purchased the beer packages, and all loved the convenience of it and felt they each got their money out of it!! Wished there was a way to get their drinks without having to swipe their SeaPass each time. In addition, it would have been nice to have somewhere on my daughter's SeaPass that stated she was 21 so she didn't have to carry her ID with her wherever she went. We were worried about losing it! On previous cruises we had loved the Concierge Club (since we usually get a suite), but this club was slightly disappointing. Food selection was limited and the bartenders were very skeptical of my 21 year old daughter's ID, seeing how she had just turned 21 at the beginning of July. They seemed unwilling to serve her and questioned her age many times, even asking other passengers if she looked 21. It made her feel uncomfortable. She also had a bad experience when she forgot her ID one time at a bar, and the bartender snapped at her, saying "I will not serve you here." and walked away. Other than that, service met expectations. We went to Chops Grille on my sons birthday, and loved it! Atmosphere was calm and our waiter was wonderful. All the food was excellent and well worth the $30 per person price tag. Filet Mignons were a hit with everyone and they even sang happy birthday to my son! We also did a wine tasting at Giovanni's, which was fun, but I wish they would have had more white wine and a little more information about how to actually taste the wine, etc. Still fun. My eldest son loved the Windjammer, though seating was usually tough to come by. I do wish there was another food option, rather than the DogHouse, which seemed dead at all times...maybe a Johnny Rocket's or pizza joint, like on some other ships? We just got a little sick of the food by the last day! Ports of call were great! We liked Skagway and Juneau the best. Ketchikan was very touristy, and we did not like all the jewelry shops. Icy Strait was very quaint and beautiful, but there wasn't as much to do as some of the other ports. Heres what we did in each port (all RC Excursions): Ketchikan: Seafeast & Alaskan Lodge Adventure (AMAZING crab feast!!) Snorkeling (Very fun!) Floatplane - a once in a lifetime experience Icy Strait: ZipRider - fun, but very quick! Whale & Marine Mammal Cruise - very good, saw lots! good narration Juneau: Halibut fishing - Highlight of the trip! Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon Bake - beautiful sights, fun hike, and good food! Skagway: White Pass Railway - beautiful views, highlight of my trip personally! White Pass Railway + Klondike Bike Tour - same train, plus 15 mile bike ride! Cold and rainy but a great time for all my adult children! The captain got us very close to the Hubbard Glacier which was so gorgeous! Definitely get up early and get ready for the day (by like 7 am!) so you can go out and get a good view on the helicopter pad! Most people just stood on the deck in their pajamas and warm coats! Wonderful narration by the expert over the speakers, and a good amount of time allotted so everyone had a chance to see it! As for entertainment, comedians were very funny and music in lounges were always nice to listen to! The Love and Marriage show was great as always, as well as The Quest- Adult Game Show! A hilarious time, and we loved meeting other people there! Bingo was a little disappointing, as it only happened 3 times during the week, and I remember playing it every day on my last cruise! Harry Potter trivia was a fun time for my family. Casino was nice and not too smoky, though we didn't win much! Musical events in the centrum, like the Rock and Roll Night were a blast, with great music and dancing. Photography on the ship was sub-par, with many photos that cut my husbands head off, and unflattering photos. Seems as though they didn't try too hard to find flattering angles or focus in nicely on the group. Probably just trying to take as many photos as possible and not caring how they looked. Temperatures were usually in the mid 50s to mid 60's outside, and most days were cloudy and drizzly. Ship temperature was comfortable, and shorts were wearable on the ship, especially when you use the nice fitness center!I recommend a nice rain coat for sure, and long pants and sweatshirts. Definitely want to pack layers! Disembarkation was easy, as we put our luggage out the night before. Once off the ship, we just had to walk over to the tent and collect our luggage. Pain free! Overall, we love cruising with Royal Caribbean and will definitely recommend this cruise to anyone!

Trip of a lifetime that did not disappoint!

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by dinnies6414

• Sail Date: July 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom

Ketchikan: Seafeast & Alaskan Lodge Adventure (AMAZING crab feast!!)

Snorkeling (Very fun!)

Floatplane - a once in a lifetime experience

Icy Strait: ZipRider - fun, but very quick!

Whale & Marine Mammal Cruise - very good, saw lots! good narration

Juneau: Halibut fishing - Highlight of the trip!

Mendenhall Glacier & Salmon Bake - beautiful sights, fun hike, and good food!

Skagway: White Pass Railway - beautiful views, highlight of my trip personally!

dinnies6414’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Grand Suite - 1 Bedroom
Cabin GS 1532
Beautiful room with plenty of space and storage. Balcony seems a little affected by the seawater, but I'm sure would be as good as new if it had a good cleaning. Room steward was attentive and bed was very comfortable.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins