3. Queen Elizabeth
We had been told by everyone we knew who had cruised that Cunard is one of the best lines to travel with! As this was our first cruise we had done loads of homework about what to expect, everyone had hyped it up so much, we were probably expecting far too much. I think lots of little irritating things at the start of our experience has marred our overall view of cruising. We were told, oh it's so easy, you just drive up hand over the keys and your luggage is taken to your room. Well, after sat in our car along with everyone else on the dockside for over an hour getting frustrated, not a great start. (Five cruise ships in that day) Luggage was taken and it was at our room door waiting for us, well another 40 minutes had passed sat waiting in the security area for the airbridge to be repaired, lots of irate passengers were getting very tetchy. The room was as expected and surprisingly didn't feel cramped. Although we had been given a one step upgrade our cabin was directly above the lifeboats, but still ok. The first day went ok, exploring the ship and the sail away party was a bit poor, and especially the first night welcome show!! We almost didn't want to continue if that was the level of entertainment being offered. Dinner in the Brittannia restaurant was .... Well....Ok, not fine dining like we had been led to believe. Although I must say the service was first class. Three nights in and we had a new couple join our table!!! It was too unbearable, rude to the waiting staff, loud, inconsiderate to fellow diners, we left that evening vowing we would never cruise again. The following day we moved. The ports were interesting and couldn't have been better, as a taster to see where we would like to visit again maybe under our own steam. We were extremely impressed with the maintanence of the ship, everything was spotless every crew member was courteous and polite. Except one day I was woken at 8.30 by a loud banging outside, to be faced with a maintenance man chipping away at the paint on the lifeboat brackets, so I had a balcony which I felt I could not use, this was for two days, I mentioned this to the pursers desk who denied any work was sceduled but surprisingly I didn't see him again, so a bit of faith restored and a balcony that was again useable. We attended a couple of the lectures which I may say were first class, my husband visited the cinema one afternoon and reported that the projector was pathetic and needed replacing. The ship never felt crowded and it was pleasant to walk around seeing all the different areas, we went one afternoon for tea in the ballroom, it was again..... Ok ish, nothing great and certainly not refined, although again the service was impeccable it was just the food offerings that let it down, crusts on thick white bread not delicate as it should be. Our food in the main dining room seemed to improve and maybe it was down to feeling more comfortable with our table guests. One thing that shocked us on the last sea day, an afternoon tea was given in the restaurant, it looked very nice with ice sculptures and set out lovely, but oh dear it was like a rugby scrum, you would have thought no one had been fed for a week, food is available 24/7 and most of it was good, so why do people show such greed? All I wanted was a picture but I daren't go anywhere near for fear of being pushed over in the crowd. We met some very interesting people on board and they certainly were Cunarders but from very different walks of life. Some people who would never go with anyone else and others who had tried what seemed to be every cruise line going. The entertainment offered was pretty good all round, the bands and harpist and string quartet were a joy to just sit and listen to. The last show was very good after the first taster show was so bad. The guest comedian was Mick Miller, from the TV Comedians fame, I don't think his act had changed. Didn't stay for that. Overall we're still not sure if cruising is for us, but we've tried it and maybe look at another cruise company if we are to try another. I don't think it's five star level but the service is very good and the surroundings are certainly pleasant.

First time cruise with very mixed feelings about another!

Queen Elizabeth Cruise Review by Greenface

Greenface’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Elizabeth price drops

Balcony
Cabin BB 5062
As expected but above the lifeboats so not fantastic, the upkeep was great and everything in there that you could want.
Very comfy bed and pillows.
Bathroom adequate although the shaver socket is not compatible with uk shavers.
Plenty of hanging space and hangers of every type you need.
Large safe.