3. Nieuw Amsterdam
I should start by putting my basis for this rating into perspective. Last summer we cruised on the Allure of the Seas (Royal Caribbean) in the Mediterranean. You will not find a more modern ship with more amenities than Allure; however, I can honestly say I enjoyed the Nieuw Amsterdam more. If it takes rock climbing walls, Johnny Rockets, zip lines, vintage cars in the Mall of America-esque promenade to entertain you then this isn't the ship for you. The mid-sized ship experience allows you to feel like you're part of a family. There are numerous activities that likely fit into one of your interests. We thoroughly enjoyed, for instance, the three wine tasting events; however, when one goes on a cruise sometimes it's the downtime that we seek. For an Alaskan cruise, simply looking out the window is the entertainment you desired. Fit a cocktail hour (or three) into your day; find a seat by a window and enjoy a little piece of heaven. Dinner time was a highlight of each day. As the father of two elementary aged children I don't have the luxury of becoming a high end restaurant critic so I can honestly say the food was better than 95% of most meals I eat. It wasn't the food that made the experience memorable, it was the service. Our waitstaff felt like part of our family by the end of the week. They did not only provide excellent service but took a genuine interest in our kids in particular but all three generations of our family in attendance. Find a set dinner time that works for you and go to the same table every night. You will not regret it. We clearly live in a age of one-upping and how to out-flash the competition. While Royal Caribbean does an excellent job of staying on top in that regard, Holland America quietly pays attention to what people truly want in a cruise. When people think about taking a cruise they don't immediately hope it has an ice show or Johnny Rockets. They want tasteful elegance and comfort that focusses their attention outward which is really why they came on the cruise in the first place.

Compared to Allure of the Seas, I'll take this ship!

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by JMax513

Ages 7 to 9
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Neptune Suite with Verandah
Cabin SB 6059
We were quite spoiled and had a Neptune Suite for this cruise. We have two elementary aged children and needed a little extra room and we got that and more. I've never been more comfortable on a cruise but the Neptune Suite made traveling in a smaller room in the future a much bigger pill to swallow.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Whale Watching
    This is a can't miss! Auke Bay, located about a half hour from the cruise docks, may be one of the best places on earth to see Humpback Whales. We were one of the 10% of the boats who get to see Orcas the day we went. I highly recommend this tour above all else.
    View All 841 Whale Watching Reviews
  • City Tour
    It was worth it but I was itching for it to be over as well.
    View All 59 City Tour Reviews