3. River Discovery II
I understand that Vantage cannot control flooding of rivers and the subsequent need to adjust itineraries. That's why I emailed them a couple of days before our departure to ask if they anticipated any problems due to the recent high water levels in France. They reported that we would board in Lyon, rather than Chalon-sur-Saone, but otherwise the trip would go as planned. My reason for asking was that my husband and I are both elderly, and we specifically chose this trip because, as a river cruise, we could get on and off the ship at our leisure at each port, rather than joining lengthy walking tours with which we have difficulty. If Vantage had honestly said that river levels had been high, and that they could not predict whether our itinerary would be affected, we would have asked to reschedule. (I hope they would have allowed us to do so, but I'm not sure.) As it turned out, we boarded at Chalon-sur-Saone, and were unable during the trip to get as far as Lyon, due to being unable to get under 2 bridges. Consequently, each day we were bused to a destination and given a tour. This did not work out well for us. The bus rides were tiring, and we could not enjoy the walking tours, due to our difficulty in keeping up with the group. Our alternative of remaining with the ship was unsatisfactory, as we remained docked at Macon for most of the trip (right next to a construction zone). On the last day, we were bused to Marseille so that we could board our flights out of Marseille the following day. After a 5-hour drive, we arrived in Avignon and were offered a walking tour. Too tired to join the tour, we sat in a sidewalk cafe, sipping wine, and people-watching for nearly 3 hours. We boarded the bus and continued to Marseille where we arrived at a nice hotel for the night, but the dinner they gave us was a disappointment: a small salad, a main course of pasta in pesto sauce (no meat), and a dessert. I'd like to commend the staff for providing great service while on the ship. Also, the meals on board were quite good. They provided wine and beer at dinner each no at no extra charge. There was some good local entertainment on the ship, and there would have been more had we been able to reach some of the scheduled ports. The staterooms were very well laid out, and they were very clean. But this could not make up for the lack of honesty on the part of Vantage. This was the 5th trip we have taken with them. Unfortunately, it will be our last.

Dishonesty ruined our trip