• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

katesmom99
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jun 2016
Cabin:

I understand that Vantage cannot control flooding of rivers and the subsequent need to adjust itineraries. That's why I emailed them a couple of days before our departure to ask if they anticipated any problems due to the recent high water levels in France. They reported that we would board in Lyon, rather than Chalon-sur-Saone, but otherwise the trip would go as planned.

My reason for asking was that my husband and I are both elderly, and we specifically chose this trip because, as a river cruise, we could get on and off the ship at our leisure at each port, rather than joining lengthy walking tours with which we have difficulty. If Vantage had honestly said that river levels had been high, and that they could not predict whether our itinerary would be affected, we would have asked to reschedule. (I hope they would have allowed us to do so, but I'm not sure.)

As it turned out, we boarded at Chalon-sur-Saone, and were unable during the trip to get as far as Lyon, due to being unable to get under 2 bridges. Consequently, each day we were bused to a destination and given a tour. This did not work out well for us. The bus rides were tiring, and we could not enjoy the walking tours, due to our difficulty in keeping up with the group. Our alternative of remaining with the ship was unsatisfactory, as we remained docked at Macon for most of the trip (right next to a construction zone).

14 Helpful Votes