• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 70s

Sail Date: Apr 2009
Cabin:
Traveled with children

First, let me say that this will be a long review. to begin with let me say that we will never, ever, fly into the city of the port we are leaving from on the same day that the ship sails again. Although we have always done so without any trouble, this time we came as close to missing the cruise as I ever would want to again. Our flight out of LAX was 40 min. late leaving for our connection at the Dallas/Ft. Worth airport. We were flying American Airlines and there was something wrong with a light that had to do with the computer on the plane. To make a long story short we missed our connecting flight by exactly one minute. A little background here, two weeks before our cruise I hurt my back at my DS's baseball game. I stepped in a hole and twisted my back. Luckily it was only a soft-tissue injury, but the pain was excruciating. So, here we are getting off the plane in Dallas and we had to run about a mile to get from the gate we came in on to the gate where our connecting flight was leaving from. Because other people on our flight knew that I had a bad back they let the gate agent know that there were three people on their way. So, when we got to the gate the agent already had 3 new boarding passes printed out and ready for us to take the next flight out to Miami. However, we had about 20 mins. to get to the new gate, and it was right back where we had come in, so we had to run back another mile to the new gate. We made it just in time and were the last three people to board the plane. I was traveling with my DH and DS. We were meeting my SIL at the airport in Miami to go on the cruise together. Thank goodness when we got off the plane in Miami and got to the luggage area, she was right there waiting for us and had already had her's and our luggage on a cart. We ran outside and jumped in a taxi, and made it to the ship on time. Never again will we fly on the day the ship sails! Lesson learned the hard way!

EMBARKATION: This went really fast even though there was a long line. We have no complaints about this part of the cruise at all.

BOARDING: This was the SIL's lst cruise, and she was immediately blown away when we reached the Lido Deck and she heard the music and saw the giant jumbotron TV. She was hooked on cruising right then and there, and it only got better as the days went by.

We were in Cabin No. 6331, which is a balcony room. It was very spacious and had lots of room to store stuff. It also had 2 closets. The bathroom had lots of counter space and a medicine cabinet to store stuff. We loved sitting out on the balcony to have breakfast and sometimes lunch, or just to sit at night and watch the moon shining on the ocean. I loved sitting out there and watching the big fluffy clouds roll by. Our area was very quiet, there were no commotions or noise in the hallways, and we never heard a beep through the walls from our neigbors. The laundry room was just down the hallway and the elevators were very a short 5 sec. walk away. I would definitely try to grab this room because of the location when we sail on the Triumph again. The new upgrades to the bed and bedding was excellent. I just wanted to pick the bed up and take it home with me.

We had a great time on the Triumph and would sail on her again in a heartbeat. We got more than our money's worth, and were very please with Carnival. The Triumph had the best, most friendliest crew we have ever sailed with. We'll cruise Carnival again next spring break. My SIL's first cruise was an absolute success! She was amazed at how friendly the crew was, and how much you get for your money. She's now hooked on cruising the same as we are!

Port Reviews

San Juan

We loved this beautiful city. The people were very friendly. We shopped with the street vendors, had a delicious dinner at a local restaurant, and just had a wonderful time. Some of our fellow passengers went on the Segway tour and loved it. My DH and DS went on the Carnival Bio-Bay Kayak tour and were amazed at seeing the luminescent creatures that can be seen in only two other places in the world!

St. Thomas

We went on the Sunny Liston tour and enjoyed wonderful Caribbean music, had tons of fun, saw some incredible views, and swam in the ocean at Saphfire Beach, where we met a local artist from whom we bought a lovely painting of the beach to take home as a treasure for a small fee. St. Thomas is a beautiful island and the people are very, very friendly and kind. We enjoyed shopping at the local flea market and meetng some of the local people. They have such a great sense of humor and impecable manners. Most local flea markets here in LA if you browse but don't buy anything you get a bad vibe from the vendors, but in St. Thomas they thank you for coming by, give you a big smile, and wish you a wonderful day. They thank you for coming to their island and hope that you will enjoy your time there and that you will come back to visit them sometime. What wonderful people. The DH and DS went on a Carnival excursion that took them to a sunken ship for snorkling. The DS is still raving about how exciting it was.

St. Martin

In St. Martin the SIL and I took a Carnival tour that took us shopping in Marigold, which is on the French side of the island. It is a lovely, quaint little town. We also went swimming at Boo Boo Jam at Orient Beach. The waves were excellent for body surfing. The DH and DS took a Carnival tour where they had a yacht race. They were aboard the "Stars & Stripes" which is the U.S. ship that won the America Cup. They raced against other people who were on a Canadian ship that won the cup another year. The DH says this was his favorite excursion. Where else in the world would you be able to sail on such famous yachts? They had an awesome time. The people of St. Martin were very friendly, and we enjoyed our time there.

Find a Carnival Triumph Cruise