3. Caribbean Princess
We chose this cruise for the itinerary. We liked the idea of going to Ireland, Scotland and France all in one trip. We liked that it left from Southampton as we could do an easy direct flight to LHR. We also were really excited to go to the D-Day Beaches, Pointe du Hoc and the American Cemetery in Normandy. We did a 12 night cruise for our honeymoon in the Baltics and had an amazing experience (with Royal Caribbean) so we thought we'd like another one. Embarkation was great. I liked that they gave us a specific time to check in based on our cabin number. No line to get in and we were through security and on the ship 10 minutes after we arrived at the port. Bags were delivered to our staterooms within 90 minutes so after we had lunch and walked around the ship, we were at our cabin with our bags already there. Having been on ten previous cruises, this was our first on Princess. We'd heard from my grandparents (maybe a mistake to take their advice!) that Princess was luxury all the way. We were less than thrilled. Here's the thing: the ship is old and small. It has tons of staterooms but not enough public space. Want to watch a show in the main theater? Good luck. It seats 450 for the 3,000 some passengers. You had to get there 20 minutes in advance if you wanted a seat. Watching feeble elderly people look for seats in the dark when the show was starting was painful. Also, I assume with the name of the ship, it was built for warmer weather destinations. With it being cold in the BI, no one was sitting outside. If you ate in the buffet you would not be finding a table to sit at. You'd have to travel far and wide to get one. On the 2 sea days I had, finding a comfortable seat to sit and read or people watch was impossible. We've been on ships before that have great seating areas and were disappointed that we had to sit in upright seats at a bar to read a book not in our stateroom. The carpets and furniture are definitely from the 90s if not older. After being on a Celebrity ship last year, this was like going back to the Love Boat (which they actually run on the TVs in your staterooms, nice touch!). This ship is screaming for an update. Entertainment-singers and dancers were good. Felt second hand embarrassment during their productions though. Weird shows. Entertainers they hired were great. Beatles tribute band was excellent, comedian was great, Piano guy was AWESOME, crew talent show was a highlight and overall we liked the shows. Need more seats. The gym-it's a decent size but what annoyed me were the people 'working out' on the machines who were in jeans and sandals not using any resistance, basically just watching TV. My husband and I work out almost every day and having to wait for a machine ridden by someone who definitely wasn't burning one of those pastry calories was annoying, but that's really not the ship's fault. Food-we aren't food snobs. The food, for us, was pretty good. We ate dinner most nights in the MDR with anytime dining. We like this because we had the opportunity to sit with different people every night and it was nice getting to know people. Besides the one night when we sat with a couple and the husband proclaimed that Hillary shouldn't be president because we didn't need a V (female anatomy) in the white house (to be fair, he was on a drinks package and was 5 crown and waters in because golly, you got to get your money's worth right?) we had wonderful dinner companions. The buffet was good, we liked the cheese and seafood selections and it was nice to have a salad bar with decent toppings. The coffee drinks from the International cafe were great, I love soy lattes and by the end of the ship they knew who I was and what I wanted. Service-I don't know why people give these ladies and gentlemen bad remarks; everyone we came in contact with was wonderful and super service-oriented. They work so hard. Harder than most of us in the US and UK will ever understand. They routinely work 12 hour days if not longer. Think your bartender is just a bartender? Nope, he's up at 6am putting the pool chairs out before working a full day (would run the decks in the morning and saw plenty of hard working people). Excursions-waste of money and for the old and lazy and those who don't want a real experience (sorry-only exceptions are for those who are disabled or physically unable to do a lot of walking). Do some research, book independent tours or if you're physically able, rent bikes to see destinations. What annoyed me was the fact that Princess would drop you off in an industrial location and not include shuttle buses to actual locations they advertised. Very nickel and dime mentality here. Would make a huge difference and wouldn't affect the bottom line too much. Highlights for us were biking all around Guernsey, walking in Edinburgh and hiking up Arthur's seat for an incredible view of Edinburgh, taking the train from Liverpool to Chester and renting a car and driving to the D-Day Beaches. Seeing those beaches was a once in a lifetime experience and we were proud to be American that day. Driving in an Audi A1 on the highway with recommended speed limits was a blast. Merchandise on board is embarrassing. Who is buying the tacky clothing in those stores? At least they had some Tommy Bahama apparel. People on cruises tend to be tacky (again sorry) so I guess they know their audience. I love to shop and would have dropped major coin on-board shopping if they had decent options. However, the idea of buying a Guess brand purse is like shopping at a store below TJ Maxx. Who buys Guess purses? Get some Coach, Kate Spade, Tory Burch. People on board have $ to spend and it would help out their styles tremendously. I disliked walking into the plaza lobby and seeing the awful gold chain purchases, tacky t-shirts that no grandchild wants (repeat, don't buy these for your family, no one wants them) and general awful merchandise. But the itinerary-it was wonderful. Princess scored a home run with their port offerings, I have to give it to them. Overall-we'll cruise again but it won't be with Princess. We've had much better experiences on Royal and Celebrity and they are actually less expensive than Princess.

Itinerary great, ship not so great

Caribbean Princess Cruise Review by lauraelizabeth1983

lauraelizabeth1983’s Full Rating Summary
Get Caribbean Princess price drops

Interior
Cabin IF C228
We chose an inside cabin because with such a port intensive cruise in cooler weather, we didn't think we'd use a balcony much. The room was a good size for an interior room, furnishings were fine and everything was clean. Biggest closet we've ever had. Kudos to Princess on building such nice storage space. I love clothes and with a 12 night cruise, I had two full suitcases plus a carry on and everything fit comfortably in the closet (my husband used the random drawers in the room for some of his clothes).
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins