3. Carnival Magic
Fresh off the boat! I wanted to get a review in while I still remembered all the various details of our cruse on board the Carnival Magic, 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral to the Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, Puerto Rico and Grand Turk. On this cruise we traveled with my wife's sister and their family, all combined a total of 11 people in 3 cabins. We booked 2 Ocean Suites on Deck 7 and one balcony room on Deck 6. In hindsight, I would have liked to attempt to get our rooms connected but that was poor planning on our part, not Carnival. Either way, it all worked out. A cruise, fellow massive boat and vacation lovers, is what you make of it. I read many of the reviews of the Magic prior to boarding and most had a good experience if not fantastic. There are always the nay-sayers. You will see them on the boat, determined to have a bad time, no matter what. This was not the case with my family. Here's a piece of advice.....as soon as you get on board, chat with your room steward and throw him/her a few bucks. Then go find your favorite bar and get to know the bartenders....finally, when you head to the dining room for the first time, treat your wait staff with equal respect. There, you have now set the standard for the entire week. They will now see you and your group as a pleasant crowd, know what you want to drink/eat and you will feel like you are the most popular people on the boat. These people work their tails off to make sure you are having a good time, why not do something simple and be nice and show them you appreciate their service? I guarantee you....you will get back the same respect, 10 fold. One more piece of advice because I heard some grumblings on sea days as we were milling about the ship. YES, there are children aboard....my children included. :) For all of you who want a quiet adults only retreat....this is probably not your boat. I mean, did you not see the massive water park/slides an the Dr. Seuss theme as well as Camp Ocean? If seeing children playing while you have a cocktail or eat dinner somehow offends you, then you should consider a river cruise or perhaps one of Carnival's higher-end lines. Seriously people, get over yourselves. Families can take vacations too! :) That all being said. Our room was very clean, functioned well, did not have any funny smells and the steward was outstanding! The boat ride was very smooth and the ship was in tip-top condition. The cruise director, Dr. E, was silly, informative, but entertaining. That's his job, by the way. The entertainment on board was outstanding, especially the band in the lobby bar. The singer even had the pipes to belt out "Let It Go" from Disney's Frozen with hundreds of people singing along....perfectly. That was impressive to say the least. The food was excellent. I heard many reviews saying they did not like the food. What the heck are they talking about? You can have anything you want and as much as you want! Sure, the portions are small...I guess if that surprises you....you either eat too much or do not understand fine dining. Not enough lobster for you on your plate....then order another one! This isn't rocket science, people. Also, there is a beautiful steak house and Italian restaurant on board as well as a million other options for your if you would like to skip the dining room for a night or two. The excursions were solid.....We booked the rum factory and cultural tour in the DR and the Mofongo/Mojito experience in Puerto Rico. We also did the family beach on Grand Turk and spent the day walking around St. Thomas. All wonderful and totally worth it. My only complaint would be that we cannot afford to do this type of vacation more often. I promise you, however, my family and I will sail with Carnival again in the future. Thank you for reading and I hope this was helpful for you.

Thinking about sailing on the Magic? Book it!!

Carnival Magic Cruise Review by DesertRat01

Fresh off the boat!

Thank you for reading and I hope this was helpful for you.
DesertRat01’s Full Rating Summary