3. Independence of the Seas
That's how I heard one fellow passenger describe the cruise, another called it Benidorm at Sea and while a little harsh its pretty close to how I found it. This was our first cruise as a family and we had been given some really good reviews but it wasn't anywhere near the level I expected and couldn't touch the standards set by the large Mexican or other Caribbean hotels. With over 4200 passengers onboard it meant that the Windjammer restaurant descended into total chaos at breakfast and lunchtimes. Numerous families wandering around trying to find a table to sit at and a PA system repeatedly requesting that tables are vacated asap isn't what I was expecting. Neither was having to rise at 7am to try to secure a couple of sun beds. The days at sea were farcical as every bed and chair was taken by about 9 am. This meant that families took up positions on the sides of the pools etc and sat or lay directly on the deck in desperation. This is what I found particularly annoying. To be honest the bare minimum I expect on holiday is a sun bed and RC failed miserably. Another problem was the length of time it took to be served at bars. Especially at night. Waiting 15 min was not unusual before the overwhelmed staff got to you. I could go on and on, but my wife and I agreed that this was the worst holiday in 10 years. There were some positives eg night entertainment was good, but I found far more negatives overall. My two teenage children really enjoyed the cruise and the excursions, but I doubt we'll be back. There are far better alternative holiday options out there and RC really didn't live up to expectations.

Butlins on a Boat!

Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by 1990London

1990London’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Get Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas price drops

As expected, small and cramped but ok.
  Independence of the Seas Deck Plans