Diamond Princess Cruise Review

Diamond Princess Cruise Review by MrBiz

• Sail Date: Jul 2016
  • Destination: Asia
  • Cabin Type: Mini-Suite with Balcony

We chose this cruise largely because we wanted to visit Japan and Korea and the choices were very limited given our schedule. Let's get down to the brass tacks and discuss the problems with this cruise.

Staterooms - We had two staterooms on deck 10. Our stateroom did not have a working fridge nor a working A/C unit. We called daily to get the fridge fixed and it never got fixed. The A/C was fixed on day 2 but it seemed to be a problem affecting many units in our area.

Staff - Far too many of the staff on this ship seemed not to want to be there and seemed unhappy, I felt their pain - I didn't want to be on the ship either. . At the pool bar, a woman told me a story about the bartender flying off the handle leaving in screams after someone asked her for water. From that point on, we called her the "water nazi" akin to the soup nazi in the Seinfeld episode. There were many hard working people on this cruise and some individuals provided exemplary service but it was only about 20% of the staff that I would give kudos to on this trip.

Dining - We give the food two stars: one for being edible and one for having been cooked. You would think a cruise around Japan would feature Sushi and Ramen buffets but you would be remiss for thinking that. There was a Sushi restaurant on board but you had to pay extra for that. I feel for the poor Japanese that boarded this cruise and wanted some familiar cuisine because they'd have to pay dearly for it. Don't worry though, plenty of pizza, burgers and hotdogs for free at the pool grill - this is what white privilege is all about folks. The biggest turn off was the constant upselling at the dinner table for coffee cards, drink packages, etc. I expect to see "this table sponsored by " before too long.

Excursions - The first port of call, the excursions were somewhat organized but after that first port, chaos reigned supreme. There were simply too many people trying to fit in a small wheelhouse bar to queue for the appropriate excursion call out. The excursions themselves were mostly fine but getting on/off ship proved to be challenging. We were late getting back a few times.

Entertainment - I had expectations that I would be immersed in Japanese/Korean culture while on this cruise. And to be fair, we did have a traditional Japanese performance along with Kimono fashion day where you could dress up in one of the activities but this was an exception not a rule.

MrBiz's Full Rating Summary