3. Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
This trip was the 1st time on any Cunard ship and I had expected it to be of a very high standard, so the no. of minuses we & some others experienced left us very surprised. We traveled by car & this time booked with CPS. Although this is dearer than parking off port. There were no queues as we drove up; handing over off the car keys & instructions for our return was speedy & within 10 minutes we had gone through the embarkation process and were walking on to Queen Mary. As soon as you walk onto her - there is a wonderful ambiance. Depending on time of embarkation you were greeted either by a harpist or pianist. Polished wood, art deco features, wide walkways from one spacious area to another gave it a grand feel. There are many venues for relaxing, drinking and dining - apart from the main restaurant Britannia. We enjoyed relaxing & listening to some jazz in the Carinthia Lounge - prior to eating something lighter - which was always delicious. The Kings Court (self-service) has the usual range of food that I've found with other cruise lines. However the place is very spacious with seating areas - tables for 2 and 4 are plentiful - so there was minimal queuing . The Britannia setting is lovely but see later for the negatives. Luggage was delivered to our cabin within an hour of embarkation - which was good. As people have different tastes I will not go into great detail regarding the entertainment and other activities provided. Briefly- the violinist(Peter Fischer) was excellent, the Q.M. orchestra played a range of styles very well. The Rhythm of the Night show by the company was lively - though somewhat loud and a little repetitive and only 1 female singer could actually be heard clearly.There were spectacular lighting effects.Unfortunately we found the following things not up to scratch:- 1.Mugs and tea bags not always replenished daily - and husband had to look for our cabin steward to ask him to provide them. He was very pleasant at all times but perhaps forgetful? The film list was placed in our room on the last night. 2.Lukewarm food - especially veg. Quantities of vegetables were minimal, so on the 2nd night I asked for extra(having seen another table do this ). Some choice was provided, however some of these were stone cold. When the waiter asked if everything with the meal had been good I explained about the vegetables in particular - though the main meat/fish was never more than warm . There was no apology or rectification with meals the following evenings. Note that this is in the main Britannia restaurant - not the self service. 3. We discovered on our 3rd night that we had not been put on the correct table for our 1st two evenings; in-spite of handing the waiter the card stating the table no. 4.Others found that some staff/technicians didn't arrive for their activity and had to be sent for and for me(at one line-dancing session) we had to wait over 10 minutes for the sound man and then had to send for him again, as the system wasn't working after he'd set it up. 5. Information & bus shuttle in Hamburg.Fortunately I had looked up Hamburg and listed a no. of sites/places for us to visit as no information or map was provided by Queen Mary.(On P&O ships there is a folder waiting for you in your cabin with maps and information on places to visit) We were told there was no need to take our passports, only our cruise identification card - although some photographic identification was recommended. Again I either carry it with me or have a photo-copy of the relevant page. We did need our passports to go through passport control & exit the building and others had to return to the ship to collect theirs. The shuttle bus took about 30 minutes to take us into Hamburg. However finding the pick up venue proved difficult for a no. of us. Some took a taxi back to the berth, 2 young girls managed to find it by chance by walking round the same area a no, of times and spotting the bus, another had to buy a map and then ask locals to guide them to the pick up. I had picked up a map at the cruise terminal(although it was in Spanish) and we used the metro and walked. 6. An extra 15% is added to drinks!! Sadly the above points spoilt the overall experience of Queen Mary 2.

Some surprising minuses on Queen Mary 2

Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by Shape

6. An extra 15% is added to drinks!!

Sadly the above points spoilt the overall experience of Queen Mary 2.
Shape’s Full Rating Summary
Get Cunard Queen Mary 2 (QM2) price drops

Balcony, sheltered
Cabin BU 5112
Spacious cabin with birch coloured furniture consisting of double hanging wardrobe, singe wardrobe(with a rack of small holes - to use for hanging? that extended from front to back!) bedside draw and opening & 4 drawers, 2 shelves apart from shelf at top of wardrobe. Lovely feel to the sheets on the king-size bed. En-suite shower is roomy and the layout provided more surface area around the wash-basin (compared to P&O) A kettle was in the cabin (especially good for me with having my own herbal tea). However, there was never more than 2 small milk containers & tea & clean mugs were always replenished Comfortable metal, mesh chairs on the balcony but be aware that when you sit you can only see the sky(this is pointed out in the brochure) The area around our cabin was quiet , however I noticed when walking in the corridor that between cabins 5136-5156 there was constant sound (from air conditioning?) & I wonder if this is heard in these cabins.
Deck 6 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins