3. Scenic Opal
My friend and I wanted at least 10 nights onboard, and the dates had to fit in with her work commitments. We also wanted a better than standard cabin. Scenic's Rhine and Moselle fitted our criteria, and we had heard good reports from friends who travelled with them. The Scenic Opal is less than 2 years old. It is a really beautifully appointed and laid out ship. Our cabin (203) was classed as a Junior Balcony Suite and was well worth the extra money - great layout, spacious, plenty of hanging and storage space (2 women travelling together !), fantastic bathroom with a decent sized shower. Our personal butler Patrick was wonderful - nothing was too much trouble. Indeed all of the staff were excellent, always on hand, would do anything asked of them with a smile on their face, and always enquiring that everything was ok. The cuisine was first class. All of the activities we did we thoroughly enjoyed, and best of all they were all included so there was never any worry about getting in, or the cost. It was great to have electric bikes available so you could go for a little ride around if you wanted to do your own thing. In fact doing your own thing when you felt like it was so easy - our Cruise Director, Patrick, was always available for advice, provision of maps and local knowledge, suggestions and encouragement. And when we returned, he was waiting at the head of the gangplank to see if we'd had a good time. All alcoholic beverages were included (Moet champagne for breakfast !), and one of the unexpected highlights was sitting on the sundeck of our ship one evening while docked in Maastricht and being able to listen to the Andre Rieu concert taking place outdoors in the town square, while sipping an after dinner drink and watching the sunset. There were several ports that I really knew nothing about prior to the trip - but I enjoyed each and every one of them, sometimes just walking around and soaking up the local scene, having a coffee or an icecream, going to the local market. Wonderful. This is not a cruise for children, or those that want lots of nightlife and entertainment. Our pianist, Tim, was excellent, and you could sit with new friends, listen to familiar songs and music, and enjoy a drink - all that I wanted. Would I go again ? In a heartbeat, and definitely with Scenic.

This is the way to cruise.

Scenic Opal Cruise Review by AussieTraveller52

Would I go again ? In a heartbeat, and definitely with Scenic.
AussieTraveller52’s Full Rating Summary
Get Scenic Opal price drops

Junior balcony suite on Sapphire Deck - great location, and really spacious.