3. Carnival Legend
This is a looonnnggg review. I like the reviews that give lots of details that help me plan my vacation so I share a lot! After reading many reviews about this ship from people that loved this cruise as well as people who were unhappy with this cruise I was a bit worried but I was pleasantly surprised! After spending a few days exploring Seattle for the first time, we headed to dock 91 to board for our Alaskan Cruise! We arrived around noon. They had already started processing everyone that came early. I have to say they have figured out how to make boarding the ship a smooth operation. Almost no waiting and we were on the ship and eating lunch in no time. This was our first sailing with Carnival and there were lots of little things that made them my new favorite cruise line! After lunch we headed to the serenity deck (adults only) and waited other family to arrive. Then on to our extended balcony room to unpack. We were pleasantly surprised with the size of the room and were happy to see a much larger shower stall than we had ever had on our other 3 cruises. We brought a lot of clothes that needed to be hung up. I was glad I brought some plastic hangers in case I needed them which I did. The next day was a sea day with plenty of activities to choose from. I did some shopping and then went to the Arts and Crafts time. I was given a nice packette of stickers, embelishments and 2 cards w/envelopes to design. I've never been to craft time where the cruise ship spent some money on a very nice activity! That evening after a wonderful dinner we went to the Red Frog Pub to hear Soundcheque performing Motown hits. This group was awesome! We made to it a few more of their performances and they play a variety of music that's fun to listen to. Next we cruised Tracy Arm Fjord. I had slept in and had not put my contacts in while everyone was seeing whales breach. I saw fins and tails but missed the breaching. Be ready to whale watch during this time! Some guides boarded the boat to get us safely thru the Fjord which had the tops of icebergs sticking out everywhere. I went to another arts and crafts class and again got a nice project to make a beaded bracelet. Word must have gotten out about how awesome their crafts classes were as so many people were lined up for a kit, they had to go get more. The scenery was amazing! I took a lot of photos. When the boat reached the end, there was the most massive glacier I would have never imagined could be so huge. Two tour boats picked up people and brought them close to the glacier. The boats looked so small up against the glacier again showing how huge it was. They announced over the loud speaker to watch the glacier close as the tour guides had radioed that a large chunk was about to fall into the water. We looked up and saw this happen. Wow! The next day was the Skagway stop. We had arranged to go on the Bennett Scenic Journey with Chilkoot Tours, an 8 hour trip. First we took the train ride where a nice lunch was provided after one of the stops. They had the last cab reserved for us which made for amazing photos off the back of the train platform. Then a 25 passenger bus picked us up for the drive back with many photo stops and interesting stories about the area from our guide, Ann, who was very entertaining. I chose not to book thru the cruise line as I knew they would be taking a big bus load vs. a smaller group. On our return I did some shopping downtown and then walked back to the ship. Note: take the bus, that was a long, hot walk to the ship! I was exhausted but that evening went to the Battle of the Sexes Show put on by the Fun Squad. My hubby volunteered to be the team captain for the men. A hilarious show with lots of good sports in the audience who volunteered to go on stage. The Newlywed game was next but I could hardly stay awake and had to miss the fun. Next was the Juneau port. We took the Mount Roberts Tramway up the mountain and enjoyed that. If you are hikers, there are trails up there that a group had just come back from hiking. Even if you have bad knees/backs like us, there is still a lot to see and do up there. Beware, mosquitos up there! Did more shopping and then back to the ship. That evening we made it to our first show in the showroom, "Studio VIP". The singers and dancers where great and we loved the disco music theme. They had amazing costumes and props that made me feel like I was at a high priced Vegas show! After the show we ended up in an elevator with the Cruise Director, Jen. We told her how impressed we have been with our Carnival Cruise and she asked for our cabin #. She ended up sending us a card with a "24kt. plastic ship on a stick", a coveted bottle of "K-Mart champagne" and chocolate dipped strawberries. She is an amazing Cruise Director and her team was awesome as well. Next up, Ketchikan. We walked around town to see some totem poles and headed down Creek Street. I loved the stores and the sights on this walk! I ended up taking the tour of Dolly's House Museum and found it very a very interesting history lesson. Well worth the $10 admission fee. I bought the most Alaska souvenirs in Ketchikan. They had the nicest stores and best prices IMO. We went to another show, "Epic Rock". It was billed as the best show of all Carnival Cruises. It was good but we felt that "Studio VIP" was the better show. Next we went to see a comedian, Dan Chopin. He was hilarious! Our next stop was Victoria BC Canada but we wouldn't be arriving till the evening. Got in another craft class where we made tissue paper flowers. In the Lido Deck Buffet, the chefs made an impressive display with an ice sculpture and fruit carvings. They had a chocolate fountain and lots of chocolate deserts too. I signed up the night before to to go on the Butchart Gardens Tour with a friend. The bus driver talked about the city during our ride and described what we were seeing. When we arrived we had 90 minutes to tour the gardens at our leisure. It was such a beautiful place! The sunken gardens was jaw dropping beautiful. It began to get dark about 30 minutes into our visit but everything was light up nicely. However, if you are there to take pictures, it will be a challenge if your camera doesn't do well at night (like mine). So much to see there it would have been nice to spend a whole day. Their gift shop was very expensive IMO. On the drive back we stopped in front of the Empress Hotel and the Legislature buildings which were all lit up. For Debarkation we decided to keep our luggage with us and walk off the ship in the morning. That went so smooth! Since we were able to get off so early, we were offered a ride to the airport for $30 for the two of us vs. the $29 per person charge for those that booked ahead of time with Carnival. I had planned on calling Uber Cab or another Cab company that charges $35. There were also lots of other options including what our other family members used. A 12 passenger van that drove them to the airport for only $100. Hopefully Carnival doesn't mind me sharing this info. as it is stuff like this that helps us afford to go on vacation! There were a lot of kids on this cruise who seemed to be having a grand time. Carnival had a lot for kids to do on this ship. They were almost always well behaved. The only complaint I had with the kids is that they overtook the indoor pool. Can't blame them for that though. Almost all of the staff on this cruise were amazing. We did encounter a few people that maybe don't love their jobs. The gals in the dining room that enter your cabin number and pick a table for you never smiled. All the wait staff and their assistants were awesome. Our cabin steward and his assistant took excellent care of us and left us a different towel animal every night. We got the most amazing photos taken by one of the Pixels staff that took the time to really pose us instead of just snapping a photo. All other photographers (except one guy we encountered!) where very nice to us. Carnival allowed us to take 2 twelve pack cans of soda on board in our carry on. We were also happy to see that lemonade was a drink available to us in the buffet at any time. Another perk was the ice cream/yogurt machines were self serve. No waiting in line for ice cream like our other cruises! Did I mention that Carnival is my new favorite cruise line? :o)

Carnival, my new favorite cruise line!

Carnival Legend Cruise Review by craftycritter