We had previously sailed on Oceania's Marina. We appreciated the smaller size of the Regatta but otherwise found Marina much more to our liking. Regatta's staff overall ( there were some exceptions) seemed much younger, less experienced and less inclined to be helpful. The weather was not warm or dry which meant folks were struggling to find space inside to do things and to be during "at sea" days. I felt crowded wherever I went. The food was inconsistent, with the exception of desserts which were, on the whole, not very good. Fresh Alaska fish was served only twice--the day it was brought on board and then the next day as leftovers. While we enjoyed the Alaskan silver salmon, it would have been nice if the cruise line that brags about great cuisine had served Alaska halibut, Alaska crab, etc. God forbid that you wanted anything to eat in between meal times at the restaurants. At the end of a day's excursion where I went without food, I stood in the lounge where tea service was shutting down, looking at a tray of mini-sandwiches and starving, and was told point blank I couldn't have anything but peanuts and pretzels because tea "was over." As for concierge service, I only learned AFTER the voyage that we had the option of going to the private deck others have mentioned here. I do not feel we got anything for that level stateroom except more reservations in the speciality restaurants. So, we paid $500 each for better dining on two occasions. A couple of ports of call seemed contrived. Who goes to Ketchikan to buy diamonds? Rumor has it that the diamond stores are owned by the cruise lines. There were bright spots on the cruise. The Captain setting us in front of the Hubbard Glacier is the best part of the trip. On board, one bartender, in particular, was accommodating. A maitre de stands out for her ability to remember passengers and to put interesting folks together at the large "share" tables in the Grand Dining Room. A faux pas in that dining room resulted in a treat being sent to our stateroom--a generous gesture and welcomed. A waiter in the Horizons lounge learned to expect to see me every morning at 5 am and knew how I liked my coffee within about a day. Our steward was excellent. But, to risk being repetitive, this kind of service abounded on the Marina but was spotty on Regatta. A final bright spot--our fellow travelers.

Not Bad, Not Good; Hubbard Glacier Spectacular!

Regatta Cruise Review by 2X4 Law

• Sail Date: June 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom

2X4 Law’s Full Rating Summary
Get Oceania Regatta price drops

Concierge Level Veranda Stateroom
Cabin A1
Cabin was fine. I don't know why we paid extra for concierge on this ship. The bathrooms are small which is fine for us. But, the bathrooms are short which was a problem for my husband who is 6'6". Also, the beds are too short for him, by about a foot. Tall people be forewarned..
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins