Viking Odin Cruise Review

Viking River Cities of Light cruise highly recommended.

Viking Odin Cruise Review by albrechr

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Superior

This was the Cities of Light tour. We wanted to see some castles and go to Paris for a few days. We thought cruising the river through Europe would be awesome, and it is! We could not have had a more bubbly and upbeat cruise director than Claudia. The staff on the ship do an excellent job, and overall the customer service was impeccable. We were pampered from beginning to end.

The food on the ship is very good and there is a good set of choices each night. Plus they pour wine with the meal and that is included. If you buy the beverage package then you can order wines for the meal (but not share them with other guests). You can also go to a package store and buy wine (and, in our case, whiskey) and bring them on board. They will open and pour your wine for you at the table, if you want, but keep any other liquor in your room.

There are excursions planned almost every day, with some optional ones that you can purchase. I found the tour guides to be very good overall, and in most cases, they are knowledgeable people from the area you're visiting (perhaps from local university) who know a lot about what they're talking about. We would never have planned all of these trips on our own, and having everything planned for us was great.

There were no kids on board and only a couple people under 30. We were a little younger than most others on the cruise (50's), with average age of probably 65-70, but we found ourselves hustling to keep up with the old people! It is a pretty busy schedule, but you can skip an excursion if you want to just lounge on the boat. You do a fair amount of walking each day, which is good because you are going to eat and drink like a pig! I can't imagine people NOT gaining weight on this cruise.

Some have complained about the bus rides, but I think some folks just like to complain. You do have to board a bus typically to be brought to day's planned excursion. Generally a bus ride of an hour or less. I did not find this to be annoying or odd.

There is wifi onboard but it can be very spotty and so you have to use it when it is available, which isn't all the time. This is the only area that I wish was better, but I understand the limitations.

Overall, we felt that the cruise was terrific and something that we will never forget. Viking's customer service and attention to detail was about as good as it gets.

albrechr's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Superior
Cabin A 305

We had a room with a balcony on the boat. The room was terrific and I liked the efficiency and quality of the bathroom, although larger folks might find the shower to be a little small. I'm not sure that I would spend the extra money for the balcony next time because we were not in the room all that much. And when the ship is cruising, there are plenty of viewing areas on the ship. It was nice when we did use it, however.

albrechr