3. Costa Favolosa
I have previously been cruising with NCL (Norwegian Epic) and Royal Caribbean (Adventure of the Seas), so that is what I have to compare with. We always opted for the cheapest possible price/cabin. I was travelling with my wife and two kids (11 and 14). Embarkation: This was fairly easy. Our luggage (3 out of 4 pieces) arrived at our cabin as expected. My suitcase didn't and the Cabin Steward didn't know anything and suggested it would come later if we wait. In the evening, I called the main desk who informed me that I had to go to the main desk as there was a problem with by suitcase. The problem was that I had brought a small water heater to make hot water for nescafe. I was not allowed to have this and they kept it at the desk and I got my suitcase. If they had at least left a note in the cabin about it, that would have been nice. And even better if I had been informed about such restriction when I purchased the tickets. Cabin: We had a small cabin with no windows. One big bed and two down foldable beds hanging from the roof / wall. It was decent enough room. There was a television which we didn't use. The guide menu on the tv was slow and un-useable. Dining: It seemed that the dining area couldn't fit all the guest on board, so you would often have trouble finding a place to sit. Also our evening dinner was fixed to a restaurant that opened at 20:30, which is a little late for us. Breakfast was fine, not overwhelming. Their coffee was extremely poor. So much that we preferred just getting hot water and using our own nescafe. You could buy fine espresso, and it seemed almost as if this was the plan with the poor coffee. We din't buy it, as this falls into what I would categorize as a scam. The evening dinner was also not overwhelming. It was very much italian inspired. on our previous cruises they would have different themes like oriental, mexican, italian, etc. Here it was mostly italian. Between 16:00 and 17:00 there were light snacks / cake / sandwiches. But between 17:00 and 19:00 there were nothing to eat. This was especially problematic when you had been to shore and came back at 17:30. Also you could only get coffee when the dining buffet was open. Entertainment: There were some shows onboard which were dance / singing / ice skate kind. These were also much italian inspired with singing in italian. I watched a few and they seemed like varieties over the same theme. On Norwegian Epic we saw "Blu man show" which was a completely different level (better). Then there was the usual common gymnastics, which all cruise lines seem to have, and which I have never understood. Also there were some evening dances and piano concerts / singers which were also in italian. They had a 4D cinema that played little movies of lengths between 5 and 10 minutes. When we asked about prices, the lady were very rude and seemed annoyed why we would bother her. Prices and extra: When you are on a cruise like this (and other cruises), there are things that are included (food, some shows, swimming pools, etc.) and then there are other thing that you should pay extra for. I have no problem with this. But for some reason, it is never shown up front how much something costs. It is as if they want you to go and get interested and then only later find out the price when you have signed up. This again in my opinion categorizes as a scam and I dont understand why anyone would treat their customers like that. Information on ship: All announcements were made either only in italian (only on few occasions) or in several languages (italian, german, english, french and one more language - maybe spanish). Information was mostly useless. If something was delayed (e.g. going to shore), it wouldn't be announced beforehand. Only when the time came, they would announce that now you can go. I really don't understand why they dont use the internal wifi connection combined with a smartphone app to allow you to get information (this also goes for the tow other cruises, I have tried). Conclusion: When we ordered the trip, we knew that it was cheaper than the previous ones we had been on. I wouldn't say that it was a bad experience. It was certainly not a luxury trip. If you are after a cheap trip and can find a decent price, this is "good enough", but if you want luxury, I wouldn't go with Costa.

Budget cruise. Good enough but certainly no luxury

Costa Favolosa Cruise Review by michael_madsen