3. Grand Princess
Alaska via cruise is amazing. Every window was a mangiest view; every dawn was a reason to praise the living God Who made such a beautiful place! Princess Cruises was excellent. I had heard how great their food was and how plentiful. The food was good, 3 or 4 dishes were excellent. They get a high grade on almost all their sea food, which was abundant, a poor grade on beef, and their desserts looked beautiful, and I will leave it at that. When we first got aboard, there were sales pitches to deal will, “offers” that felt like we were dealing with used car salesmen. Later on during the cruise we were informed we were being charged a daily tip fee of $12. Say what? I paid thousands of dollars for this whole thing and now you are telling me you are still charging me more? I felt insulted. A tip should be the choice of the tipper. Princess has it as a hidden charge. It feels like they want us to help pay wages. It felt dishonest. There were some other charges that were not included in the bill… one being bottled water. I can eat all the salmon and lobster I want but you can’t afford to give me a bottle of water? But still, they do things well. Everything in the place is in tip top shape. There was no leaky faucet, no door that rubbed on the floor or squeaked when opening. No one left a broom out on the deck, the tables did not rock. The efficiency of the place, in all aspects, was most impressive. Seldom did I see a serving platter empty, you never saw a garbage can that needed emptying. All that precision took place in an atmosphere of professionalism and all the “backstage” happenings were kept both out of mind and out of sight. The staff was always courteous, well trained, personable. It never felt like they were the “owners” and we were disobeying the rules. Also refreshing was that the staff does not act like they are a lower class than the guests. There isn’t a feeling of they make the bed or pour the orange juice and then need to run away. They answer questions, they tell about their homeland, their families, themselves. Very nice. The staff is obviously held to a high standard but they did not seem to be stressed or tense. I never saw them snap at each other. Once or twice when I believe I was hearing someone receive correction from a higher-up, the attitudes were warm, there was no “after effect” when the higher-up turned away. The entertainment… I usually skip comedy shows because what is “funny” is too off color. But the comedy here was clean and fun. All the shows I saw were either very good or excellent.

Alaska is Amazing, Princess was Excellent!

Grand Princess Cruise Review by Marcos On Board

• Sail Date: May 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

Princess Cruises was excellent.

But still, they do things well.

Marcos On Board’s Full Rating Summary
Get Grand Princess price drops

Cabin L705
The cabin was more than adequate. It had a balcony. The balcony was absolutely worth the extra money.
We would not have complained if we had had another electrical outlet.
At times there was a slight unpleasant smell.
The TV programing was a bit lame.
Our personal steward was superb.
  Grand Princess Deck Plans