Viking Odin Cruise Review

Our first but absolutely not our last Viking Cruise!

Viking Odin Cruise Review by ScottS-USA

• Sail Date: Jun 2016
  • Destination: Europe River
  • Cabin Type: French Balcony

This was my wife and my first river cruise, as it was for my in-laws and their two friends who traveled along with us. It will definitely not be our last cruise with Viking! My wife and I are both in our early to mid 50's and have reasonably extensive travel experience. Our traveling companions were in their mid to late 70's.

There is simply not a bad thing to say about the entire trip. It started with the agent at Viking who was friendly and very attentive at helping with all of our booking. We had lots of questions since this was our first cruise. It could not have been any more of a smooth and easy process.

We opted for a two-day pre-cruise extension in Budapest. We met our connection easily at the airport who took us to the hotel. The hotel itself (Corinthia) was spectacular as was the service by all of the staff. There was a desk manned by Viking in the lobby during our stay to answer any questions.

Boarding the boat was hassle free. The room was clean and more than adequate for our needs. For the next 8 days we enjoyed non-stop continuous superb service by every single member of the crew. The food was excellent and we can’t say enough good things about our service staff. They felt like family by the end of the cruise.

The cruise director was humorous, friendly, and always helpful. All of the side excursion were incredibly well planned, enjoyable, and with highly professional and interesting guides.

As we had read in advance, navigating this part of the Danube river is highly dependent on the recent rain activity. Water levels either too high or too low can cause problems. This was the case for one small portion of our trip which required a slight deviation from our itinerary.

That said, as we had also read before our trip, Viking and the crew did a spectacular job of making accommodations. Our party, and I sense almost universally the remainder of the passengers, were more than satisfied with the arrangements.

We are already planning our next Viking cruise and would leave tomorrow if we could.

ScottS-USA's Full Rating Summary

French Balcony
Cabin D 228

The cabin was great (the shower and the heated floors in the bathroom were wonderful). The rooms are by no means large, but more than adequate and I am a 6'4" tall guy. Although I was not in any of the other room options, I would definitely recommend and go with a French Balcony on another trip. I don't think that I would like a Standard Stateroom with its small windows, and being below water level. On the other hand the Vernada rooms it seems to me are totally unnecessary since there are so many choices of places to sit outside onboard (including sheltered ones). The French Balcony was just perfect to be able to swing open the doors and take in the river the rare times we were in our room. The upper deck rooms are more expensive than the ones on the deck below, but really also seems unnecessary in my opinion.

Highlights Tour

We had already spent two days in Budapest but this tour hit many of the highlights we had not made it to on foot.

View All 85 Highlights Tour Reviews
City Tour

Nice waking tour of all of the highlights. As with most of the excursions it would have been great to have had more time, but that is the nature of a cruise to several cities.

View All 169 City Tour Reviews
Schonbrunn Palace

Great addition to our stay in Vienna. There was a little more walking which was fine for us. My in-laws took an optional tour of the local market with the ships's Chef which they really enjoyed.

View All 179 Schonbrunn Palace Reviews

The ship did not sail from Vienna until midnight so we walked ourselves after dinner to the Wiener Risenrad (one of the oldest ferris wheels in the world) and took a late night ride. It is easily reached from the port by foot or the subway. This was one of our more memorable moments.

View All undefined undefined Reviews

A lot go great history and a spectacular view of the Danube valley.

View All undefined undefined Reviews
Nuremberg

We took the World War II excursion which took us on foot into the Parade Grounds, the Documentation Center, and the Nuremberg court rooms. Our guide was a remarkably knowledgeable historian.

ScottS-USA