3. Radiance of the Seas
This was our first cruise, and I was quite nervous. But we were very impressed with the cleanliness of the ship, the variety of activities (for a smaller ship) and especially the service. I'd heard Royal's service was the best, and I was not disappointed. (We took the train from Seward, which was quite scenic but also extremely long. The bartender/tour guide was great, and the food was really good too. (Salmon chowder, yum!) In hindsight I would have taken the bus -- shorter, still plenty of scenery, and less expensive too) Food was always good and sometimes great. Our waiter Brendo and his assistant Faly were so wonderful we wanted to take them home with us. We shared a table with a great family, a perfect match for us. Not sure if this was intentional or not, but I appreciated that Royal put us together. Windjammer Cafe had the best pancakes ever. Huge selection. The Park Cafe had a weird selection of sandwiches and salads--not our favorite, though the roast beef was good. There was also (thankfully) a Starbucks on board, called Latte-Tudes. After hearing horror stories about food poisoning and stomach flu on other cruises, I was pleased that the waiters squirted every single person going into the dining rooms with Purell -- though the kids thought it was kind of gross. We had a large ocean view cabin--would have liked to do a balcony but decided not to spend the money. Cabin was bigger than I expected. Our three teen daughters were a bit tight in their room, but they managed. Their cabin was on deck 2 and had a very small window, even though it was the same size room and price as our cabin on deck 3. In hindsight I would have called to try and get the rooms closer together and all on the same deck. In hindsight, I wish I had booked my own shore excursions rather than through the cruise line. I should have done more homework on this. Excursions are expensive, and you don't always know what you're getting. You can talk to the excursion people on the ship, but there was always a long line. And then we missed our tour in Vancouver because the ship misplaced our luggage, and now Royal refuses to give us a refund. This was the only bad experience we had, and I hope they will make good on it eventually. I was worried the teens would be bored on the ship, fearing that all the entertainment would be geared toward retirees. But there were a few dance parties (disco was the favorite) that they enjoyed. You had to be 18 years old to go to Starquest (the disco on the ship) and the girls didn't want to abandon their 15-year old sister, so they didn't go. Optics, which was the club for 12-17 year olds, wasn't a great option. That's a very large stretch of age, and since it was mostly boys, my daughter didn't feel comfortable going. Karaoke night was really fun. The kids played a lot of pool in the Colony Club, which was our favorite spot to hang out. Didn't really use the swimming pools much, as the Solarium was only for 18 and up and it was a bit chilly for the outdoor pool usually. Kudos to an amazing band, the KRONOS Band, that played on the ship. The members are all from the Philippines, but they played all American rock music, including the most awesome version of Freebird I've ever heard. (There were a few not-so great musical groups as well, LOL)

Pleasantly Surprised

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by gmd4462@verizon.net

• Sail Date: July 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

gmd4462@verizon.net’s Full Rating Summary
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

Clean, great Stateroom attendant, very attentive to our needs. Made great towel animals too. Surprising how much storage space they build into these rooms. We have no trouble finding space for all our stuff.
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans