3. Westerdam
Instead of doing an overall review (there are already too many of them), I'd like to give my impressions and experiences of the advice I received from reading Cruise Critic: Large Groups on board - I was led to believe they would ruin my cruise. In actuality, the 600 people with the Inspirations Group were very pleasant people. No issues at all. Dive-In - Was told hamburgers and fries were wonderful. I know we all have different tastes, but I thought they were just ok. MDR - Was led to believe this was very good and on the verge on elegant. I thought the food (my sirloin steak) was not good. The variety/selection was lacking. It was not Gala night but I saw a family walk in in jeans and big hiking boots. I was led to believe jeans were not allowed. Clothing - Rain gear and boots were a must. I would not bring boots next time. There was nothing I did that my tennis shoes wouldn't have been appropriate for. I packed too much. Room accessories - Per CC suggestions, I brought post its, pens, magnets, clothes pins, coffee mugs. Didn't need any of these. There was a pen in the room. They give you so much paper with advertisement of diamonds and jewelry, I used the backside to write on if I needed a piece of paper. Didn't need any of these items. I also did not see any doors decorated on the outside. I didn't plan to do this but was led to believe that at least half the people on board did this. I saw no door decorations. It's Illegal to take food on and off ship if its not in it's original wrapping - This was never mentioned on or off the ship. No one checked for food or drink at any port. Lido Buffet - So many people said they did not like the buffet and never ate there. We preferred the buffet because of the variety and especially the views out the window. We always ate at a window table and enjoyed the view. Whenever I looked they had someone at the sandwich station ready to make a sandwich, but there was hardly anyone there. The custom made salad bar was my favorite. 8th Floor Room under Lido/pool - Was told that we may hear chairs scrapping early in the morning when the pool was being cleaned. We heard chairs scrapping and people running must days during the day. We spent a lot of time in our room enjoying the landscape from our balcony. If you don't spend much time in your room, it would be a non issue. Smokers - Was made to believe that if you were next door to a smoker, it would ruin your trip. I smelled someone smoke next door to me one day and that's it. We were in port so the wind was not blowing the smoke away. I went back inside for a little while. No issue. Excursions - It seemed like everyone booked excursions (and multiple excursions) at every port. I booked excursions at only 2 of the 4 ports and that was plenty. Listening to others who booked lots of excursions they were saying that they didn't have time to walk around and enjoy the town. As other Cruise Critic members mentioned: Pinnacle Grill was exceptional - I agree Canaletto was just ok - I didn't like it at all Balcony was worth it on Alaskan Cruise - I agree Crows Nest was nice to relax - I agree Explorations Café - great Latte's Ship hairdryer not good - I agree, take your own Laundry bag held a lot - I agree, sent out my laundry at dinner time and received it back the next morning. I was able to fit a lot in the bag. I'm sure some of the CC members will criticize some of the things I said above (because I think criticizing others is their favorite pastime), but these were my impressions and observations of my first cruise.

What I learned from Cruise Critic.

Westerdam Cruise Review by Kathyfromstl

• Sail Date: July 2016
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Signature Superior Verandah Suite

As other Cruise Critic members mentioned:

Pinnacle Grill was exceptional - I agree

Canaletto was just ok - I didn't like it at all

Balcony was worth it on Alaskan Cruise - I agree

Crows Nest was nice to relax - I agree

Explorations Café - great Latte's

Ship hairdryer not good - I agree, take your own

Kathyfromstl’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SY 8043
Some things needed updating. The wicker on the balcony chairs was breaking in places, the grout on the floor in the bathroom was getting dark and chipped. TV needs to be interactive with menus, invoice, movies on demand
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins