3. Westerdam
My husband and I were looking for an interesting cruise for the summer and decided that Alaska would be just the right thing. We had been to Sitka and Juneau several years ago when he participated in a Russian music festival in Sitka. The Westerdam did go to Sitka, which was one reason we selected this cruise. Also we had sailed with the Noordam before and really liked this class of ship. We booked the pre cruise hotel and transfers with Holland America and were very pleased with the Sheraton in Seattle. Also the fact that our bags were transferred directly to the ship from the hotel made the embarkation process much less stressful. The Saturday we left Seattle was very busy as the Crown Princess was also in port. The transfer bus took us efficiently to the port and we got through the lines without much trouble. The Holland America staff is very efficient and we were on the ship without a long wait. We had booked a veranda cabin but had the opportunity to upgrade to a suite for a reasonable price. This was a good decision as the suite was very comfortable and spacious. We usually do the open dining but we had been assigned a table for the fixed dinner. It was for two and very nice. Our waiter Hendra was very attentive. The ship itself is lovely and very well designed. We never felt crowded or that there were just too many people for the space. I'm not sure why so many reviews of the Westerdam are negative. I confess I did not spend a lot of time going around the ship just to find something to complain about. Also the food is amazing when you think about how many meals are served every day and the variety and quality of the food is better than in many good restaurants. If you are not sure about what to eat, try the pasta dishes. They are always excellent. We were fortunate on our cruise to have very good weather, just a little rain in Juneau. This contributed to our overall satisfaction with the cruise, although the weather is out of the control of the ship and crew. The only reason I didn't give a 5-star review was the disappointing entertainment onboard. For some reason the sound level for all the musical shows is way too high. The sound is distorted almost to the point of being unpleasant. We did discover Anna in the piano bar and went there every night. She was excellent and the choice of music from broadway and films (as well as a little country) was just what we were looking for.

Great Week in Alaska on the Westerdam

Carolyn448’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Westerdam price drops

Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Cabin SS 6070
Nice cabin, roomy with plenty of storage space. Large balcony.
Upper Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins