• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Excursions

Viking Star Review

Editor Rating
69 Awards

Cabin size overstated, this is not a first class cruise ship.

Review for Viking Star to Europe
rsimstw
10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Apr 2015
Cabin:

We choose this cruise since it was the maiden voyage of Viking's first cruise ship. The moment we entered the stateroom I felt it was smaller than their advertised size. We have been on more than 15 cruises and I had a feel for the sizes based of stated square footage. In our stateroom, 3020, two people could not pass between the wall and the bed at the same time and you had to move the table in order to sit in the chair at the desk. There were only 3 drawers in the stateroom and we were here for 50 days.

I was convinced that the stateroom was not as large as advertised so first chance I got I bought a carpenter's rule in port and measured our stateroom. The total area including the balcony is 248 square feet versus their advertised area of 270 square feet. I submit that this is a significant difference. The word approximate cannot be used to justify this difference.

After returning from the cruise I wrote to Viking and included a drawing showing the actual dimensions of the cabin. I expected some compensation for their miss representation. After 3 more letters they finally called me and stated that they measured the cabin in accordance with industries standards. This is a load of bull since industry standards are to lie to passengers.

Cabin V1

In our stateroom, 3020, two people could not pass between the wall and the bed at the same time and you had to move the table in order to sit in the chair at the desk. There were only 3 drawers in the stateroom and we were here for 50 days. The layout is poor with much wasted space especially in a cabin this small.

10 Helpful Vote