3. Norwegian Getaway
Ship Size This was our first trip on a “big ship” and I enjoyed it, but I think I prefer a smaller ship. We had a really great time, but embarkation and debarkation in Miami and the ports was a lot more difficult. If we hadn’t been Haven passengers, it would have been a huge headache. Also, there were so many people that you had to make reservations for most of the entertainment ahead of time – most “headliner” shows filled up early. Additionally, the ship was so large it took us a couple of days to find everything and I think we really didn't have time to enjoy it all the ship offered. The Haven We really used “The Haven” amenities a lot and enjoyed them. On this ship, it was well worth the money. I would have had a great time regardless, but my DH doesn’t like crowds much and lines make him really crabby, so it made vacation MUCH better for him. If you decide to upgrade, research what they will do for you and take advantage of it. Eat in the restaurant ( outstanding food and service with an upgraded menu), use the priority embarkation and debarkation, etc ... (Virginia, the concierge was wonderful), watch the free movies, and lounge on the sundecks/pools. The Getaway She's a beautiful ship with many nice amenities. I love that the fish on the carpet “swim” to the front, so you can find your way. Our stateroom was the BEST! So comfortable and spacious! We enjoyed every meal and all the shows were entertaining. Yes, the pool deck is crowded, but there were always sun loungers open away from the pool. I think the Atrium is a poor place for shows, but the shows were fun. Don't miss the Illusionarium, Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor. If I could cruise in the Haven, I would go on the Getaway again, but I think that overall I prefer a smaller ship if I'm in a regular cabin. Not a critique of the ship, but just my preference.

Getaway June 3, Haven 14872

It was wonderful - see the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efDfg1Z1OfQ

The Haven
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• The Belize Zoo
    The tender trip is a fairly smooth one and only takes about 20 minutes. Once off the tender, we exited and headed straight to the meeting point for a Cruise Excursioneer tour. Here things went off the rails :( The rep from the tour walks us over to a guide; who tells us that they had already left. She said our ship's time in port is too short for that particular tour and they don't offer it to our ship? I was really disappointed, but assuming they would automatically refund our deposit we headed back to the cruise terminal to regroup. (They did not – I'll explain at the end)
    A guide, Sheldon, overheard, told us about several other tours. He had on a purple shirt, from a company I recognized from my research (can't remember which one - as I said I was upset, I had really wanted to see the ruins). We said we needed time to decide (I didn't want to be pressured into anything). We found a bench and talked about what else we might do and decided the zoo would probably be fun. We came back 15 minutes later – he was still there. He took us on a lovely city and zoo tour for $65 pp. It was about 3 1/5 hours. The zoo really very beautiful, really more of an animal sanctuary and very educational. Zoo pictures We arrived back at port about 2, did a little shopping and went back to eat a late lunch on the ship. Normally, we would have eaten in port, but last year we learned the hard way, they put coconut in almost all their food and my DD get's sick from it (food sensitivity).
    View All 30 The Belize Zoo Reviews
  • Beach
    I couldn't wait to get off the ship, so we could head to one of my favorite places - Maya Chan. We went last year and fell in love with the place. This year, as returning guests, they even gave us a discount:) We were the first people there and we stayed until 3. Why do I loved it there? The lovely palapa, with chairs hammocks and our our little bed? The rum punch, fresh guacamole and chips they greet you with? Or maybe the delicious drinks? Wonderful, fresh lunch? Excellent service? Yummy drinks? All of the above! Last year, my DD and her BFF actually asked if we had to go back to the ship :) They were joking of course, but that kind of summed it up as to how LOVELY it is.
  • Cozumel
    We slept in and had breakfast in the Haven before leaving. All the people on tours left earlier, so there was no wait to leave. We walked around near port and stopped in a bar across from the dock (Mary Janes), so DH could get his favorite Dos Equis Dark, DD could get a fancy frozen drink and we all could use the Wifi. We picked up some souvenirs and went back to the ship.
    View All 6,712 Cozumel Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Cozumel Cruise Port Review
  • Miami
    Good Parking, but expensive. POM had long embarkation and debarkation lines.
    View All 2,410 Miami Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Miami Cruise Port Review
  • Island Tour
    We has reserved a Fun'n'Sun tour with Victor Bodden ($30 pp – a bargain!). My DD and I took this tour last year with her BFF and really enjoyed it. We checked in a little early and took the extra time to wander the port for a few minutes and put on sunscreen. Our driver and guide met our group. We filled up the small tour bus and off we went. The first part of the day is a city tour with a stop at a souvenir store shop and a grocery store. Our guide was funny and well informed. Next you stop at Victor's Monkey Business. So fun! I was a little disappointed because our group was so large, I didn't get a picture with the monkeys. Bodden pictures Next we went to Bananarama Beach. The water is crystal clear and warm. Your tour comes with a lounger. We spent about 2 ½ hours there, swam and had lunch: Roatan dip/nachos, southwestern rolls, cheese fries, hamburger/fries, water, fancy frozen drink for DD and local beer. Prices had increased quite a bit since we were there last March. It was right at $60 for lunch. A drive back to the ship and some shopping completed our day in port.
    View All 226 Island Tour Reviews