3. Radiance of the Seas
I WAS a loyal Diamond cruiser. I'm done being loyal to Royal. I planned this cruise with my sister to knock one off our bucket list. We had lost a brother a few years prior so we we were honoring his memory on his birthday. We wanted to "do to up right". We booked 18 months in advance, we picked our cabin then paid a premium rate for it as we were told it was just refurbished and it was upgraded to a new level. No worries, we selected it because it had a huge balcony and we imagined sitting out there looking at glaciers and beautiful scenery. Maybe it's because I have only cruised Royal and I didn't have anything to compare it with...but every time I go it just gets worse. More amenities are stripped away, they are really embracing the less is more philosophy. Our cabin steward Regio was fabulous. Attended to our needs and delighted us with towel animals. The cabin was always clean and he was very friendly. Our dinner service was OK, but the my time dining was not really not my time...it is still their time. We wanted a 7pm dinner, but it was 7:30 after the first seating or as soon as the first seating left. I asked if we could sit near a window (my mistake) since the days were long and there was nice view...so that sat us at a two top....we missed the opportunity to engage in conversation with other passengers. One of the delights of cruising. Why they thought we would want to sit alone I have no idea, then that seemed to be the arrangement for the week. The food was not bad, but nothing delightful. The same thing they always serve. I must say, other than formal lobster night, my favorite meal was the grilled chicken breast with vegetables...pretty standard and unimaginative but good. The remodel did not seem it was for the benefit of the passengers... More pay for restaurants and ways they can capture more r venue. The refur of the spa had ill fitting loungers in the thermal suite that were not only uncomfortable but ugly. The thermal suite used to be my favorite delight of the spa. Whoever was responsible for the remodeling of the spa should be fired, between the loungers and the ugly carpet in the entrance that was obviouly a scrap from elsewhere on the ship, they destroyed the ambiance of the spa. Neither the loungers or the carpet matched the surrounding decor. Shall we talk about the therapy pool...In Alaska the solarium is transformed into a children's playground, Even after 11pm kids were there screaming, jumping and in the hot tubs....this previously was an adults only area that is now half playground, half cafe with tables and chairs and loungers removed. Imagine the noise with kids yelling Ina glass house...not to mention diving in a shallow pool unsupervised....it made me so nervous I had to leave. I would like to also comment on the entertainment. The RC singers and dancers were good, but the comedian was so bad I though he was a magician...and I kept waiting for him to pull a joke out of his hat! The Motown review was good, but nothing to write home about. My sister and I had both bought drink packages, I was so dismayed when I could not have a glass of champagne before dinner. On my last cruises it was no problem, but now the price was $14 a glass and exceeded the allowance of any drink package...you could have it for an additional $2... Well,that just set me off! Needless to say I also did not go to the Diamond Lounge since my sister was turned away the first time we tried. She is not a diamond member. It clearly states you cannot bring guests...but it seems illogical that if I travel with a spouse they are given my same status, but if I travel with a sister and share a balcony stateroom they are not able to come in. We already had drink packages, and the club was not full, so it is of no benefit for me to be a diamond member anymore. There is no benefit for me to sail Royal. Over the years all the things that made it special have now been stripped away, themed dinners with specially folded napkins, or after dinner drink service, or waiters that had some experience and personality, maybe a special "treat" at the champagne bar in the evening. Great entertainment and evening activities. All gone.

No Longer Loyal to Royal

Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by mer257

• Sail Date: June 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

mer257’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas price drops

The fact that the balcony was rusty, patchy, in need of repair and paint made this a dismal experience at best. It was disgusting.
  Radiance of the Seas Deck Plans