3. Norwegian Sun
40th birthday mega-trip. I have been lucky enough to live on 4 continents and travel everywhere I originally wanted to see. So in considering my 40th birthday, I wanted a new destination - South America... and a new experience - a proper cruise. I had taken a Mediterranean cruise before but this was a completely different experience. I really enjoyed it and met a lot of wonderful people on this cruise. There were some minor problems but most were dealt with efficiently. My travel-mate was vegan and there were no truly viable non-carbohydrate-heavy options available for her... despite her contacting Norwegian and letting them know her requirements well in advance. We were given the impression that her dietary needs would not be an issue - but they soooo were. On board, everything needed to be reserved and mentioned 24 hours in advance and even then no decent options were offered to her. I had almost no problems with the food choices - though the Italian restaurant was by far my least favorite experience. Service regarding most other issues, reservations, changes, etc. was polite and mostly helpful. I had to cancel an excursion THE MORNING OF due to a digestive malfunction - and they made it clear that I might not be able to get a refund (but I did). All other excursion arrangements were handled well - even though I hate waiting. There were a few issues with our cabin but most were handled quite quickly. In fact, it was my travel-mate who had most of the issues. The room was fairly clean and the daily service did a decent job. We really only spent the nights in the room - though we definitely appreciated our window on those rough days when viewing was crowded in other areas. I loved watching the play of the sea at night from our window as well. As I mentioned, our trip was rather rough in patches but I was never bored. Their entertainment options were varied and though I chose only a few to participate in, I was always able to find a comfortable location to chill and read or do whatever I chose to do instead. The music was lively, though not as varied as I would have liked. There were always several live music options throughout the evenings. I quite enjoyed learning PAI GAO poker in the casino and ended up playing nearly every night. Thankfully, I stuck to my budget and ended the trip pretty much even. The ship was a little dated in design but very colorful. Ours was the final cruise before a design overhaul and refitting so it would be interesting to see what it looks like now. The atrium was lovely and there were several locations with excellent window views - so even on those stormy / rough seas days we were able to look out and see the coast, the fjords, the Cape and the glaciers. We didn't travel with children but saw several families that did. Besides the pool area and buffet dining, I almost never saw any kids. As I understand it there were plenty of activities to keep them engaged. This was such a good experience that my father has expressed an interest in taking a cruise. We are planning one next year although this one will not be with Norwegian - my uncle is a regular cruise and has other preferences. I would certainly take another Norwegian cruise and might consider a cross-Atlantic cruise in the future.

Delightful cruise with minor setbacks

Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by LadyDragon

LadyDragon’s Full Rating Summary
Get Norwegian Sun price drops

I loved the window. It made a huge difference to the feeling of the room. This room was steps away from the atrium and elevators yet quiet and restful. I wasn't fond of the actual bed but there really is no substitute for home anyway. We only used the small convertible couch for luggage and extra laundry space. I piled up the desk and she piled up the sofa. It was a perfect arrangement.

As a bigger woman, the shower was a bit crowded but I was able to use it well enough. We were used to removing our shoes as we both live in Asia - so I noticed the cleanliness of the carpet more than others might have. For the most part, it was fine but there was one day that I felt it needed to be cleaned better.

There was just enough storage space for the two of us but we had both been very careful to limit what we brought with us. Still, we both were satisfied with the room.
  Norwegian Sun Deck Plans