Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by AnyNameNotYetTaken

• Sail Date: May 2015
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Veranda 2B

This was my first cruise and sailing to Alaska sounded different and exotic. It was all it was cracked up to be and I have now already booked two more cruises to follow. I decided on taking this cruise in May basically to get a cheaper fare. Had great weather, and actually no rain. I guess I was lucky, but it paid off. No crowds in port. I'd recommend taking the chance and go in May. The only downside we had was missing out on seeing some of the wildlife. Did not get to see eagles or bears. Ate in a specialty dining venue once. The food in MDR and buffet kept me well fed. Should you get to go, I definitely recommend both the plane ride over Misty Fjord and the helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier, both awe inspiring. Standing on the glacier and seeing it up close was quite an experience.

AnyNameNotYetTaken's Full Rating Summary

Deluxe Veranda 2B
Cabin 2B 2B - 7134

Conceriege veranda stateroom on sunrise deck - Stateroom: 194 sq. ft. Veranda: 54 sq. ft. Midship, close but not too close to elevators. Conveniently located, but out of the busy and noisy area of being right at the elevators.

Misty Fjords Flightseeing

Misty Fjords Flightseeing, booked by Marriott, was awe inspiring. We lucked out and had excellent visibility. The pilot took us close to the mountains and landed on the lake. The foliage was intensely green and wisps of fog gave the visual experience was something from a fairy tale.

View All 166 Misty Fjords Flightseeing Reviews
Mendenhall Glacier

I squeezed in two excursions, Whales and Mendenhall Glacier. The whale excursion was great. Whale sightings were guaranteed. But what was extraordinary and received the 5 stars was the helicopter ride to the Mendenhall Glacier and then walking on the glacier. Normally I'm afraid of taking helicopter rides, but this is an experience not to be missed.

View All 971 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
Yukon Suspension Bridge

Booked through Marriott, this excursion is an alternative to the White Pass Scenic Railway. This excursion took you into Canada and across the Yukon Suspension Bridge. We went in May and therefore missed some of the wildlife we could have seen later in the year.

View All 72 Yukon Suspension Bridge Reviews
Double Decker Bus Tour

The Deluxe Victoria Evening Sightseeing Tour departed from the cruise pier. Nice tour through the small, but quaint, Victoria. Only gave it three stars as this was a letdown after all the excitement of the Alaskan excursions.

View All 41 Double Decker Bus Tour Reviews
Seattle

Why is this field required after selecting I did not take an excursion in Seattle? I did go to Pike Place Market, a unique and enjoyable experience.

AnyNameNotYetTaken