3. Disney Magic
I chose this cruise for the ports of call-Norwegian Fjords towns of Stavanger, Alesund, Geiranger & Bergen. I went with a friend who used her Disney Vacation points to take the cruise and she is a huge Disney Cruise Line fan. She has had wonderful experiences and really enjoys seeing the children have so much fun. Great memories. I have been on 14 cruises on various cruise lines including Disney. I choose a cruise because of the itinerary not the ship or cruise line. I prefer smaller to mid-size ships like the Magic because they are less crowded and can go into ports the larger ships cannot. The Disney Magic was a perfect choice. Although the same cruise is offered by Holland America & Princess and probably several others cheaper than the Disney Cruise. The ports of call were excellent. Lovely fishing villages with unique experiences in each town. We took several Disney excursions at each stop each one was well organized and interesting. We also booked 2 excursions on our own which were identical to several of the Disney excursions for about 1/2 price. They too were well organized. check out Trip Advisor, Cruise Critic etc for suggestions. Stavanger - we took the 90 min. Lysefjord Cruise tour which was really nice. Cruise goes to Pulpit Rock & back. cost $99 through Disney but could be taken on own for about $56 through Rodne Cruises. We boarded cruise boat next to Cruise ship and returned in time to take a 2nd Disney exclusive "home visit" with a Norwegian family through Disney which filled up quickly. This exclusive to Disney excursion was unique and well worth the $99 fee. Alesund - we took another Disney excursion to the island of Giske & Godoy with a Lighthouse tea break which cost $85 but without tea a little less. Tea consisted of Norwegian waffle & cup of tea nothing special about this tea break. We enjoyed the islands and this excursion was the best way to see them. Alesund is a beautiful town so take the HOHO bus ($18) or train tour ($12) for a good way to see the architecture. both tours stop at the Fjallstoua viewpoint overlooking the town or you can climb the 400 steps up from town center. Alesund is a nice town to walk around with grocery store near ship. We took the train tour which was about 1hr 15min and enjoyed it. Geiranger- the most scenic town of the cruise. We did not take any Disney excursions at this stop but took (2) on our own through Geiranger Fjordservice which have the same excursions as Disney for a lot less. Geiranger Fjordservice was easy to work with and to set up tours through. We chose a combination tour which included a 60 minute boat cruise out to the Geiranger Fjord and a Panoramic bus tour up Eagles Rd for $47pp which is half of what Disney charged for exact same tours. Boat cruise and bus tour were located @ pier and very easy to use. Bergen - largest of towns. the Historic Bryggen district is within walking distance of ship and can be walked in 10-15 min. There is a lively fish mkt in the town center and a funicular to the top of Mt Floyen as well. The historic museum ticket includes several museums and cannot be bought separately until 4pm so we didn't see it. The Bryggen historic district had lots of cafes and interesting shops and wandering around this historic area was fun. There is also a HOHO bus that stops at the pier but since it was raining we decided not to take it. We took a Disney excursion out to Evard Grieg's Troldhaugen with a private piano concert which was excellent. Cost $69pp and worth every penny. You can also take this same tour with concert recital @ 1pm through the Tourist Information Center leaving @ 11am returning @ 2:30pm for $30. We chose the Disney because it was earlier in the day leaving more time to explore Bergen. It rained on and off most of the day which is typical of Bergen. We were lucky as most of the days were sunny or mostly sunny with little rain. Copenhagen- We spent 2.5 days in Copenhagen before our cruise and highly recommend that you spend some time in this lovely city. It is a walkable city with good public transportation and lots to see and do: including Tivoli Amusement Park which was Disney's inspiration for Disney Land; (3) Royal Palaces including changing of guards, crown jewels, ancient ruins and current Parliament. It has a very interesting fishing history and a wonderful Canal district called Nyhavn where we stayed @ reasonably priced Hotel Bethel right on the canal. Highly recommend this hotel. It has it all, best location in Copenhagen for sights, cafes, HOHO bus stop, metro, canal tours and fun. It's in the heart of Copenhagen. You must book month's in advance. It's a small boutique typical European Hotel. The staff is excellent and the rooms were clean but small so typical of older European hotels. It was large enough for us. A bonus is that we were able to open our windows and look out right onto the canal. No AC. I'd definitely stay here again and again. Eating in Copenhagen can be expensive but the street food experience across main canal, food court under Masdan Nord Store; and wonderful free breakfast buffet @ Bethel kept our costs reasonable. Copenhagen is world known as a culinary city so you can have what ever experience you're willing to pay for. Noma one of the world's top restaurants is located across the main canal from Nyhavn. I loved the Danish pastries and the ice cream shop across from our hotel was fantastic. I was on the Disney Magic about 5 years ago and there have been several changes since them. Besides adding the topside water slide which wasn't used a lot on this cruise with temperatures in 60's & low 70's. Another change in the Magic is that they no longer offer single beds but all the rooms have a queen and bunk beds. I miss the single bed option especially when you travel with non-family members. One of us had to sleep on the bunk bed which was tolerable but would have been a lot better if we both could have had single beds. Most cruise lines offer this set up, I wish Disney did. Disney probably has the best entertainment of all of the cruises I've been on especially for a medium size ship. I've been on several RCL larger ships that offer very good entertainment including ice skating rings etc. But for general entertainment Disney has the most professional performances. Another change on the Magic was in the dining rooms. They have gotten rid of Parrot's Cove and now have another restaurant called Carioca's. The food on the Magic is average. I've noticed a decline in the quality of food on all cruise lines in the past 25 years. for example; the lobsters were large and tough, the salmon overcooked and the meat dishes tasteless. The rest of the food was average at best with the appetizers probably having the best choices. Disney does not offer anytime dinning which I really like. This type of dining is more convenient and adds to the fun of meeting different people every night. Wish Disney would do this. We ate at all of the "free restaurants" with Lumier's being my favorite mainly because I felt the food was slightly better. The topside cafe now Cabanas was always crowded with little sitting room so we usually ate whenever possible at Lumier's for breakfast & lunch or at Daisy De-Lights which had limited but very good food. If you are looking for cruise with really good food look elsewhere. The service as on most cruise ships is excellent. I have found that the cabin stewards, the meal servers and everyone else on most cruises are very friendly & helpful and Disney was no exception. Their service was outstanding. Embarkation and Disembarkation was smooth and organized. However we did have to walk in the rain both times we checked in and out. Disney should provide an awning to keep it's passengers dry in Copenhagen especially since it rains a lot there. We used a taxi to get us to the terminal checking in and used the Disney transfer option to airport leaving. Both worked well. All in all this was a wonderful cruise to a beautiful part of the world and I would definitely go again. I would not have been able to see all of these places had it not been on a cruise. Disney took good care of us and I'd go again on this exact same cruise with Disney. If I were paying for this cruise and weren't taking children, I would check out several other cruise lines as they offer the same ports of call and same experiences for less money. I have found that most cruises lines offer the same good service and experiences on similar size ships. My preference from past experiences would be on HAL as they also have smaller ships with less crowds and the food is somewhat better. My experience with Princess on the Island Princess (March 2016) 10 day Panama Canal cruise was not as good as I had a terrible mattress for 10 days and had to pay extra money for a mini-suite in order to get a room with a tub/shower. Probably won't use Princess again because of this experience.

Wonderful Cruise Experience to Norwegian Fjords Villages

Disney Magic Cruise Review by bbeerbower

• Sail Date: June 2016
  • Destination: Norwegian Fjords
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom

We were lucky as most of the days were sunny or mostly sunny with little rain.

bbeerbower’s Full Rating Summary
Get Disney Magic price drops

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin 09C 2530
The rooms are still very nice with the 2 bathroom setup with one having a tub/shower & sink and the other having a toilet and sink which is a very good set up especially for families. There were only 2 of us on this cruise as on my last cruise with Disney. The bathrooms are fairly large and all rooms have the tub/shower which is a must for me. Ships with showers only are undesirable as the showers are way too small for anyone except a child. the shower curtains cling to your body and you get water all over the floor. So I always get a room with a tub/shower combination which usually costs more. for example HAL has balcony rooms with tub/showers but on Princess you have to get a mini-suite in order to get the shower/tub and this is quite expensive for what you get - a small room with balcony. Our outside room on the Magic was spacious and as large as a mini-suite on Princess and as large as outside rooms on RCL and HAL ships. I usually get a Verandah room but the outside cabin room was also nice with a large single window. Another change in the Magic is that they no longer offer single beds but all the rooms have a queen and bunk beds. I miss the single bed option especially when you travel with non-family members. One of us had to sleep on the bunk bed which was tolerable but would have been a lot better if we both could have had single beds. Most cruise lines offer this set up, I wish Disney did. The mattress on the queen bed was very comfortable.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Alesund
    View All 205 Alesund Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Alesund Cruise Port Review
  • Troldhaugen Concert
    We took a Disney excursion out to Evard Grieg's Troldhaugen with a private piano concert which was excellent. Cost $69pp and worth every penny. You can also take this same tour with concert recital @ 1pm through the Tourist Information Center leaving @ 11am returning @ 2:30pm for $30. We chose the Disney because it was earlier in the day leaving more time to explore Bergen. We also walked around town and would have taken the HOHO bus except the fact that it was raining most of the time we were in port.
    View All 26 Troldhaugen Concert Reviews
  • City Tour
    Canal tour a must either with Neddo or Stromma. HOHO bus goes to all main sights in Copenhagen including older cruise port. if in Copenhagen for more than a day check out the Copenhagen Card which includes all transportation,metro, buses, water taxis, canal tours, palace tours, Tivoli etc.
    View All 176 City Tour Reviews
  • Geiranger
    Geiranger Fjordservice which have the same excursions as Disney for a lot less. Geiranger Fjordservice was easy to work with and to set up tours through. We chose a combination tour which included a 60 minute boat cruise out to the Geiranger Fjord and a Panoramic bus tour up Eagles Rd for $47pp which is half of what Disney charged for exact same tours. Boat cruise and bus tour were located @ pier and very easy to use. The cruise tour was very scenic. We got up close to the waterfalls, and could see the abandoned goat farms much closer than when our ship cruised in and out of the port. The Eagles Rd experience was interesting as the views looking down on the town of Geiranger were beautiful. lots of hairpin turns on a big tour bus.
    View All 145 Geiranger Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Geiranger Cruise Port Review
  • Stavanger
    Norwegian home visit was outstanding experience. visited with Norwegian family walked through village to home and had a great time getting to know the family. very limited number so book early.
    View All 278 Stavanger Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Stavanger Cruise Port Review
  • Lysefjord
    lysefjord cruise was excellent way to get up close to fjord to see abandoned farms, waterfalls, Pulpit rock etc.
    View All 62 Lysefjord Reviews