3. Carnival Legend
My husband and I completed our Alaska cruise on the Carnival Legend appx one week ago. First the positive feedback: Each and every staff person was excellent and professional, from restaurant wait staff to cabin stewards. They really seemed to take their jobs personally and seemed to want to please us at every interaction (especially the exceptionally friendly Balinese workers). The wait staff and cabin stewards displayed professionalism in all categories and an inner sweetness, charm and genuine good-heartedness that shone through in their personality and interactions with their passengers. The second positive comment is the cruise route and the various stops. We took a few excursions, which were also very well organized and pleasant. And now for the negative feedback: My husband and myself were crestfallen (even shocked) when we entered the ship and eventually our balcony cabin. This was the 6th cruise we had gone on and we never experienced such an outdated, dreary and unattractive ship. All other cruises we had gone on (Princess, Celebrity, and even Carnival previously, all around the Mediterranean, to the Baltic countries, Russia and China) were exceptionally beautiful cruise ships that were sparkling new and modern, which created an experience of 5 star luxury and pleasantry. We expected the same for this cruise--but in comparison, the Legend felt like a 4th rate low budget cruise ship. The esthetics of the ship are dreadful; the design and coloring is dark and dreary. I was completely perplexed that an interior designer would choose such horrible and unattractive décor. Everything was extraordinarily outdated and old appearing. I saw rusted plumbing fixtures in all the bathrooms (ie the stall door legs and on water pipes) and rust on many of the metal doors in various areas of the ship, etc. I even saw silver duct tape wrapped around some chairs/couches in the luncheon room. All around, I was very upset to see the appalling appearance of the ship. I paid as much money for this cruise as I did on the previous 6 cruises and I expected the same superior standard in the Legend. For some, the ship appearance might not matter, but for my husband and myself, the appearance of the ship and its lack of luxury and pleasant aesthetics really affected our experience and mood on this cruise. My husband and I were really upset, even shocked, when we entered the ship for the first time. We really felt jilted. As said, pervious cruise ships were 100% nicer in all categories. Throughout the cruise, we could not stop comparing pervious fabulous cruises we had taken in terms of the ship’s wonderful appearance, all the fabulous meals and the amazing entertainment in the evening shows. We had rated all previous cruises as 5 stars. How could we not help the comparison? If we had known about the condition of the ship beforehand, we NEVER would have booked this cruise. The entire cruise felt like a 4th rate low budget cruise. Additionally, the quality of food served was quite lacking. (We did not use the specialty dining options.) My husband and I could be described as “foodies” and were very disappointed with the quality of the food. Most meats and fish tasted old or stale. A couple of times the food was served cold. But as I said, the wait staff was terrific and did the best they could with what they had to work with. The meals were always served with a wonderful smile and enthusiastic professionalism.

Time to Retire the Legend

traveler108’s Full Rating Summary
Get Carnival Legend price drops

Aft-View Extended Balcony
Cabin 8M 000000
Had a balcony cabin. This was the saddest cabin we ever entered. So outdated and unappealing. Entire ship was outdated.
Empress Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins