Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review

Beautiful Alaska, Not So Pretty Jewel

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Kriptonik

• Sail Date: Jul 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

Dining: I will start by saying the Dining was great, and what little entertainment they had, was also pretty good (Wasn't much of it). Enjoyed the buffet, and dined at a few of the specialty restaurants. I would do that part again.

Ports: I thoroughly enjoyed every port in Alaska, breath taking views and the excursions were affordable and worth the money. The only port I wasn't satisfied with was British Columbia. Wasn't much to see or do that interested me or anyone in my group at least.

Embarking and disembarking was smooth overall, but I will never understand they none of the employees allowed people to cut in line constantly. This was a huge issue for me and my group. One instance was on the last day of leaving the ship they actually opened the doors on deck 7, where we had been in line for maybe 20-25 minutes and let a group of 15 people cut in front of us without any explanation...

Activities.. well here is where one of my bigger problems were. I went with a group of people in late 20's and 30's, we had a hard time finding activities for our age group.

Bingo was really expensive and short lived, so we tried that 1 time, not worth it. Tried getting a ball for the basketball court.. was never successful due to it closing at 5 pm and always having planned activities during the day. Tried using the hot tubs at night, but they close before it gets dark too... Freestyle what???

Cabin: It was a small interior cabin that got the job done. My main complaint was the bathroom being that you had to sit sideways on the toilet. Water pressure was good, water was warm, bed was alright.

Sidenote: Watch out for the minibar inside your stateroom. We got charged $3.00 PLUS 18% restocking fee for each can of pop we took from the fridge. We were unaware that this wasn't covered by the ultimate drink package, I even looked over the fine print that was on the paper attached to the fridge. Sneaky sneaky, they got us but they wont get us again. All my complaints about this fell on deaf ears. It should just simply be on the fridge even if its in fine print.

Would I cruise with NCL again? Probably not. Overall my experience at the ports were great, but i found myself being bored on the boat more than i would have liked.

Kriptonik's Full Rating Summary

Cabin Interior 11091

Cabin was small, but that wasn't important to us because we didn't plan on being in the room much besides to sleep. However the bathroom was terribly small, So small that you had to sit sideways on the toilet. Our safe also wasn't operational for 2 days, after calling for service 4-5 times it finally got fixed the 3rd day.

Nature Tour

Took a tour the mirrored the White pass railway. Took us to a 4 different stops and lasted about 2 and a half hours. Got to see waterfalls, mountains, and some wildlife. Worth every penny. Amazing views, I would Definitely recommend checking out the nature tours.

View All 13 Nature Tour Reviews
Ketchikan

Seen lots of bald eagles, seen some salmon in the river. The city had a good shopping experience also.

Seattle

Great city, can find activities to do for a couple days within walking distance if your downtown. Can do these before the cruise leaves which is what my group did. Space needle, restaurants, art galleries, markets. The city has a huge homeless problem though.

Kriptonik