3. Volendam
Aussies Beware. Holland America Line (HAL) Our holiday (disaster), my wife and I were on the Volendam in stateroom 7062. We arrived in Vancouver May 4th, We boarded the ship in Yokohoma a 19 day cruise, the first night on board we had very little sleep the noise above our stateroom was excessive with the moving of the table and chairs and the trolley that they use to move things around in this lasted until about midnight, then the trolley was moved again at 3am the the table and chairs were again put out for breakfast at around 4:45am. at around 11 am the next day the noise started again, I quickly went up stairs and found 3 deckhands dragging the chairs and tables around. apparently there is a store room above which contains a lot of props for decorations which are constantly being moved. My husband spoke the the deck steward about the noise, he told him he would also speak to the night deck hand. We then started my complaints to the front office trying to get a room change. we complained regularly about this as it happened every day and night until I was told that compensation would be paid and nothing else could be done. We were fobbed off. At the end of the cruise $250 taken off our bill. Not one night did we have a full sleep and forget about catching up during the day just as bad, if you are unlucky enough to have a bad stateroom they have your money and you are not getting it back. Forget Australian Consumer Guarantee laws they don't apply. Complaints get you no where. I have been in touch with ATAS was told nothing could be done and the travel agent could not be held responsible, I have been in communication with office of the president of HAL and their ombudsman what a waste of time. Its not the money but the thought that nowadays you can still get ripped off so easy. I cruise quite a bit, HAL is not up to standard and would not recommend.

Not good HAL, shame on you.

Volendam Cruise Review by Donone1

• Sail Date: April 2016
  • Destination: Transpacific
  • Cabin Type: Vista Suite with Verandah
Aussies Beware.

Holland America Line (HAL)

Our holiday (disaster), my wife and I were on the Volendam in stateroom 7062.

I cruise quite a bit, HAL is not up to standard and would not recommend.
Donone1’s Full Rating Summary
Get Holland America Volendam price drops

Vista Suite with Verandah
Cabin BB 7062
Only book this cabin if your Deaf. EXTREME noise from above. also cabins around this one are also prone to noise from above. the cabins on the other side of the ship have the smoking area above was told also Noisy.
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins