Emerald Dawn Cruise Review by Ventnor2 Ann
- Sail Date: July 2016
- Destination: Europe River
1. Bigger and better equipped cabins ,lots of storage space with deep drawers .Bathroom also had hidden storage spaces ,a deep drawer and shelves .Very good hand rain shower and even a pull out washing line .The electric balcony window is superb and the blackout and insect blinds are also well designed .The 6ft bed is extremely comfortable with two duvets which is a nice touch . No hanging labels outside the door to Not Disturb just flick a switch inside the cabin to activate a light outside .
2. Food is better than Viking .The breakfast buffet is vast with the usual egg station for poached,fried or omelettes to order .Lovely crispy bacon,hash browns ,sausages ,beans and tomatoes .The fruit selection is very good ,with prunes,apricots ,pears,and fresh fruit salad ,a good cereal selection,cold meats,cheese , yogurts fresh rolls,pastries and breads Lunch is also varied with cold meats,salad,a pasta dish ,a fish and a meat dish with a variety of fresh veg,rice,potatoes etc .There is always a soup with fresh breads and a variety of desserts ,ice cream ,cheeses and fresh fruits
Dinner is a four course delight. On two nights in seven it becomes a six course gala dinner. The food is of a very high standard with a good choice of meat ,fish or veggy option
At lunch and dinner the wine flows with abundance with good quality wines
There is always afternoon tea with delicious sandwiches and cakes and a late evening snack .
3. Excursions .These are varied ,interesting and not too exhausting .
4. The cruise director Simona was an absolute gem .She was a workaholic and very funny .Now I come to the downside .Due to the number of passengers 180 compared to Viking approx 128 , the restaurant gets very noisy in the evenings .This was particularly distressing to me ,as I suffer from tinnitus so I had to wear ear plugs so couldn't hear what people were saying around me .
THIS SHIP IS DEFINITELY NOT FOR YOU IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO NOISE
I do not like the inclusive drinks package idea as this encourages people to drink too much and this adds to the noise
If you have travelled on the Viking long ships you will immediately notice that the lounge furnishings do not exude quality ,but saying that ,it is comfortable.
The small pool is also a plus on Emerald .
Ignoring the noise aspect ,the overall experience is excellent .and the staff are very friendly and efficient .
250,000+ people have entered their email
No engine noise or any other noise .Very good airconditioning
Very well equipped with lots of storage ,mini bar ,safe ,
Compact shower room but very well fitted with lots of storage places
Much more spacious than many other river cruise ships