3. Explorer of the Seas
My family and I usually travel with Carnival and admittedly have gotten used to their way of doing things. Many of our friends travel with Royal and have offered that it is a better cruise line to travel with. We decided to give them a try for mine and my wife’s 30th wedding anniversary trip to Alaska. We had a good time, the scenery in Alaska was everything we expected and more; however, Royal was not ‘all that’ as it was explained. The many other charges, the Chef’s table was so-so, issues with credit cards and the way they bill were some of the issues, and especially the rock-hard bed that never afforded us a good night’s sleep the whole cruise.; however, not all was bad. The entertainment, especially the ice show was amazing, the dining room staff was great (they misplaced a bottle of our wine but did find it later), the windjammer, albeit difficult to find a seat at times, was very good and the ship itself was laid out nice and was well kept. Our room steward was good; but, we have to expect good stewards so nothing really exceptional other that doing everything she could to fix our bed. I know all of the cruise lines are starting to nickel and dime us to death over what used to be an ‘all-inclusive’ style of travel; but Royal has it down to an art. I mean things like $69 for a ride on the flow rider… please. Or how about the ice cream machine down most of the trip so that the only avenue was to go pay for it at Ben and Jerry’s (which my family doesn’t care for) or wait for the dining room and get some for desert. Another issue for our particular situation was our flight home following the trip. We called Royal CSR before we booked our flights to be sure we could make an 11 am flight following our arrival at 6AM, we were told that it would be no issue. When we arrived on the ship and asked for the luggage valet (you have to book on board) we were told that it was only available for domestic travel and since we were stopping in Victoria BC we could not book it. Next we asked for a shuttle, thinking that booking through Royal would speed our departure from the ship and was told that they only run in the afternoon. Next we tried to tell them that we needed to be off very early since our flight was at 11 am and was told that they doubted we could make a flight that early unless we were willing to use self-assist (6 people and 11 bags.. not thanks) I know we packed heavy for this trip; but, did not know what weather to expect. As a last resort, they told us that since we have an elderly couple with us, we could opt for the wheel chair disembarkation and that would afford an earlier departure, so we set that up. The night before departure we get our luggage tags. They are zone 23 with an estimated departure of 840-850 AM… a little too late for our taste, so my wife goes back to the service desk and they tell her the number doesn’t matter since we are using wheel chair assist. On the day of departure, we arrived at the designated location about a half hour early and was told that being part of the wheel chair assist offered no sooner departure than any other. We complained… but still got off the ship at about 845 am. Luckily about 830, I received a notification from Alaskan airlines that our flight had been delayed to 130PM… disaster averted; but, not at the will of Royal. Next issue, credit cards. Due to our own mistake my daughter and her husband showed up at the pier with an expired credit card… oops. I gave them my AMEX and told them to use that as their guarantee, we used the same card for our room as well. As soon as we boarded, we went to customer service, called the kids credit card company and got them to authorize the card use, even though the new card was at home in the mail. The CSR at the ships desk said that there was no problem and switched their room to their credit card. During the cruise, royal would continually pre-authorize charges on all of our rooms (daughter, ours, and father’s) which is not big deal in and of itself; however, each authorization was an accumulation instead of an individual amount. As an example, day 1 $13.50 in tips authorized, day 2 $13.50 in tips however, $27.00 authorized instead of another $13.50 instead or removing the first $13.50 authorization. This continued throughout the cruise. No issue for my card as its limit is high enough; but, for the kids and dad… both card were denied twice during the trip and we had to go down and get them to straighten it out. Remember back at the beginning of the trip when the originally added my card to my kid’s room then swapped it over when we got on board. Well due to the card preauthorization fiasco, no limit was left when the cruise was over, so they just charged my card for their room without any notice or asking for a cash payment… say the night before leaving the ship. Chef’s Table: Food was good, not great; but still had a great time meeting the people and having the experience. The final course was the same filet we had the night before from chops grill. The wine was ok, not great, most vintage 2015-16. The head chef never even made an appearance. The chef that did explain the food was hard to hear in the area they set it up (a roped off area of the windjammer, not ideal. I usually enjoy the chef’s table on all of our cruises, this one was not up to the normal standards I have come to enjoy. Oh the bed… if it could be called that: The bed was so hard it was pitiful. We mentioned it to the service desk before ever leaving port and again every day to both our room steward and the service desk. It was simply hard as a rock. Every day, our steward would add a few more blankets under our sheets and finally on day 5 she added a one inch think piece of foam that stretched from our shoulders to hips and no longer. One night we even slept on the floor as our sofa was not a pull out… it felt about the same as the bed. Dining room Food was average for cruise lines these days. A couple of the meals were better than average and couple were far below so as I said… average. One night I ordered the chops filet. A 9 oz. filet that costs an additional $16.95 per person for the three of us; however, one was way under cooked. Instead of sending it back, we just informed our waiter that we would eat around the center as I usually do not eat a full 9 ounces any way and he removed it from my bill, this was acceptable. I was a little disappointed that I had just visited chops the night before and paid $35 for, in essence, the same meal I just got in the dining room for $16.95. Chops Grill A great steak, great service… value could be better ($35). If it weren’t for our waiter bring out extra appetizers and desserts just so we could try them even though we did not order them, we would have been more disappointed. The Scallops were amazing and filet was very good; but all in all, if I were to cruise on Royal again (most likely not) I would just get a chops filet added to my dinner in the MDR and save some money. Entertainment: In a word, Awesome. The comedians, the stage shows and especially the ice show (in a very small arena) was very good. I liked that Royal split up the showings for the ice show by your lifeboat area. This gave most people ample opportunity to see it. In conclusion: All in all I was not too impressed with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines. This was our first cruise with them and we have considered trying them again in the Caribbean, I do not know if we will. We had a very bad experience on our last NCL cruise (my first on NCL – my wife’s second) but now years later we have decided to give them another chance.

Alaska was beautiful; RCCL was not all it was cracked up to be.

Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by shadoweyeone

• Sail Date: June 2016
  • Destination: Alaska

Next issue, credit cards.

Chef’s Table:

Oh the bed… if it could be called that:

Dining room

Chops Grill

Entertainment:

In conclusion:

shadoweyeone’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas price drops

The bed was a Rock... the floor was more comfortable... other than that the room and location were great.
  Explorer of the Seas Deck Plans

• Mendenhall Glacier
    Was awesome... unfortunately we were dropped there for 5 hours and thats is way too much time to spend there.
    View All 888 Mendenhall Glacier Reviews
  • Whale Watching
    Was ok.. whales not very active that day... you never know what you are going to get and the tour was only about an hour long
    View All 841 Whale Watching Reviews
  • Pike Place Market
    What an awesome market area to visit. More restaurants and crafts than I could visit in a year. Next time I visit Seattle, this is the first place I will go so that I can get all the fresh foods that I need for my visit. I do not remember the small booth that had an “Oh My God” peach… but if you like peaches, make sure you do not miss out on this one.
    We had lunch at the Crepe de France and it was quite good as well as Honest Biscuits and the Market Grill.
    View All 57 Pike Place Market Reviews
  • Space Needle
    Space Needle, Seattle Washington
    Not a bad place to visit once, some of the views are neat; but, for someone who has seen many city views from high points in those cities, it is what it is. The area around the needle is very nice with a lot of available activities and open areas.

If you go looking for food, look in the Seattle Center Armory (a food court of sorts) near the needle and skip what is offered inside the needle itself. I would suggest the Seattle-based MOD Pizza. It is a build your own pizza place with a wood fired oven and it was very good. My family (6 adults) all tried a variety of pizzas from cheese only to a loaded version and they were all very happy.

As a final thought, if you plan on visiting more than one attraction at the Seattle Center or elsewhere in Seattle I suggest the Seattle City pass. My daughter got ours through her workplace even cheaper than the pass website; but, either way a great bargain.
    View All 46 Space Needle Reviews
  • Dog Sledding
    Had a great time with the dogs and the puppies as well as teh tour ride up to their area and the ride on the MOG
    View All 153 Dog Sledding Reviews
  • White Pass Scenic Railway
    Beautiful scenery... M&M tours was not very good at their communication and we missed the first train.
    View All 1,104 White Pass Scenic Railway Reviews
  • Victoria
    Victoria is a beautiful city. we opted for just a cab ride in and wandered around the Empress hotel and the downtown shopping area. Went to the BC museum which was awesome and ate at the local food trucks ... also good but pricey.
    View All 1,315 Victoria Cruise Port Reviews